Power Perspectives 2023
After an eventful 2022 for Canada’s power sector, new opportunities and risks emerged for project proponents and other industry stakeholders, with shifting government priorities aimed at addressing the effects of climate change and transitioning to a greener economy.
To help energy industry participants take stock of potential opportunities and issues that can affect their businesses, McCarthy Tétrault’s National Energy Group has released its Power Perspectives 2023. Our report provides an in-depth overview of the most significant developments in the Canadian power and emerging energy sectors, including policy shifts, case law and regulatory changes at both the provincial and federal levels, as well as a look at key trends to watch out for in 2023. Topics covered include the following:
- British Columbia regional overview – Updates on BC Hydro’s Integrated Resource Plan, BC Hydro’s Site C Clean Energy Project, the CleanBC climate action plan, LNG Projects, EPA Renewals and much more
- Alberta regional overview – The latest on the Alberta Electric System Operator’s (AESO) Net-Zero Emissions Pathways Report; key regulatory and policy developments from Alberta energy regulators; noteworthy Alberta Utilities Commission and independent system operator rule changes
- Ontario regional overview – Key developments in procurement; Hydro One’s new equity partnership model with First Nations groups; the rise of electric vehicle charging infrastructure as a new source of demand and opportunity for Ontario; updates on Ontario’s low-carbon hydrogen strategy; Ontario Superior Court’s dismissal of National Steel Car’s challenges to the “Global Adjustment”
- Québec regional overview – New renewable energy RFP opportunities; developments in Québec’s electricity export strategy and industry plans; the year ahead for green energy and hydrogen in Québec
- Atlantic provinces regional overview – Update on Atlantic provinces’ legislative efforts to facilitate the energy transition to reduce carbon intensity; general developments for independent power producers including new energy technologies; the latest hydrogen trends; updates on Muskrat Falls and the Atlantic Loop
- Environmental law updates – Key developments at the federal and provincial levels in 2022 and a look-ahead to 2023
- Aboriginal law updates – Key law and policy developments; court decisions including further steps by the B.C. and federal governments to implement the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples; federal government guidance on the use of Indigenous Knowledge in federal project reviews and regulatory decisions
- Small Modular Reactors (SMRs) – A potential clean energy technology for Canada – SMR technology as an energy reality; SMRs in Canada’s oil and gas sector; the safety, economy, benefits and challenges of SMRs in Canada
- Tax incentives – Summary of the federal government’s clean energy tax incentives including relating to carbon capture, utilization and storage, clean technologies and hydrogen production
Power Perspectives 2023
A market leader in providing legal support to the energy industry, our team helps clients make their most ambitious objectives a reality. From supporting the development, construction and financing of exciting and transformational projects to helping clients manage their projects’ social and environmental impacts, we have the expertise and foresight to mitigate risks and add value. We support developers, equity investors, lenders, major industrial and commercial users, operators, governments and government agencies with comprehensive insights into policies, key players, and stakeholders to successfully move energy projects through their life cycles. Learn more about how our team can help you.
About McCarthy Tétrault
McCarthy Tétrault LLP provides a broad range of legal services, providing strategic and industry-focused advice and solutions for Canadian and international interests. The Firm has substantial presence in Canada’s major commercial centres as well as in New York and London.
Built on an integrated approach to the practice of law and delivery of innovative client services, the Firm brings its legal talent, industry insight and practice experience to help clients achieve the results that are important to them.
– 30 –
For further information on McCarthy Tétrault or any of the above, please contact