A seasoned business lawyer, Jacob advises clients in a variety of industries with their various transactions in both Québec and Ontario
As a partner in the Business Law Group in Québec City, Jacob’s practice focuses on project finance, private placements, mergers and acquisitions and venture capital. His experience spans several sectors, including energy, agribusiness and technology.
Prior to joining McCarthy Tétrault, Jacob worked in the investment and services section of the Trade Law Division of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada in Ottawa.
Jacob’s experience is highlighted by his involvement in several significant mandates including:
- Investissement Québec and Fonds de solidarité des travailleurs du Québec in their anchor equity investment in Stradigi AI Inc. through a subscription for Class A preferred shares for C$26.4 million
- The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company and Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada in the closing of a secured credit facility to First Nation LP in order to finance its equity interest in Wataynikaneyap Power LP
- OSF Global Services Inc. in the US$23 million equity investment from affiliates of Delta-v Capital, LLC, US-based private equity firm
- Invenergy LLC, a USA-based power generation and energy storage company, in the C$215 million sale of its interests in 5 wind farms in Québec to Boralex Inc.
- NextEra Energy Partners LP, American renewable electricity company, in its US$1.27 billion sale of wind and solar generation assets to Canada Pension Plan Investment Board
- LeddarTech Inc. in its Series C Financing Round which raised nearly US$101 million
Jacob received a Juris Doctor (magna cum laude) from the University of Ottawa in 2011 after receiving a Bachelor of Civil Law from Université Laval in 2009. Before studying law, he completed a BA (Honours) in International Relations with a Minor in Economics at Mount Allison University.
Jacob is a member of the Canadian Bar Association, of the Executive Committee of the Université Laval Law Faculty journal Les Cahiers de droit, and of the Executive Committee and Council of the Literary and Historical Society of Quebec. He was called to the Québec and Ontario Bars in 2012.