With practical counsel and specialized industry knowledge, Brian has built a reputation as one of Canada’s leading practitioners in energy and power law
Brian Bidyk is a partner in the firm’s Business Law Group and Energy Group, located in the firm’s Calgary office. His practice encompasses a variety of corporate/commercial matters, with a specialization in M&A and divestitures in the oil and gas, electricity and renewable power industries.
Brian is often called upon to advise major oil and gas corporations in the upstream, midstream and service sectors, as well as electricity developers and producers in respect of mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, as well as the development and construction of projects. He adds value to his clients’ organizations by working seamlessly with in-house legal teams and advising on their day-to-day legal and operational issues.
Brian’s experience includes the preparation and negotiation of a variety of agreements within the energy industry, including asset and share purchase, asset exchange, participation, farmout, joint venture, partnership, power purchase and tolling agreements.
Brian’s client portfolio is comprised of exploration and production companies, midstream companies, service companies, power developers and producers and private equity funds. He currently acts as corporate secretary for several of his clients and has developed corporate finance experience through his work with both public and private companies in equity and loan financing.
Brian received his B.A. from the University of Calgary in 1996 and his LL.B. (with distinction) from the University of Saskatchewan in 2001. He is a Member of the Alberta Bar Association.
- Acted as counsel to Tidewater Midstream and Infrastructure in its acquisition to acquire 100 percent of AltaGas' working interest in select Deep Basin and central Alberta gas processing facilities and related infrastructure for $87 million ($30 million cash and 43.7 million Tidewater Shares).
- Acted as lead counsel to Mount Bastion Oil & Gas Corp. in its acquisition of oil & gas properties in the Slave Point Area of Northern Alberta for $148 million and its related private equity financing.
- Lead counsel to Tidewater Midstream and Infrastructure in its acquisition of central Alberta gas processing facility from a private company for $180 million.
- Lead counsel to TORC Oil & Gas Ltd. in its acquisition from Surge Energy Inc. of SE Saskatchewan and Manitoba oil & gas assets for $430 million.
- Lead counsel to Perpetual Energy Inc. in its asset disposition to Tourmaline Oil Corp. for $256.5 million.
- Acted as co-advisor to TORC on its $510 million acquisition of low decline, high netback, light oil producing assets in southeast Saskatchewan.
- Represented TORC Oil & Gas Ltd. in its $128 million acquisition of Southeast Saskatchewan assets.
- Acted for Lightstream Resources Ltd. in its disposition of assets to Crescent Point Energy Ltd. for $378 million.
- Acted for two Korean private equity funds in a $650 million partnership joint venture with Harvest Operating Corp.
- Acted for Surge Energy Inc. on its $109 million acquisition of Southeastern Saskatchewan light oil assets.
- Acted for Surge Energy Inc. on its $77 million acquisition of oil and gas assets from an undisclosed vendor.
- Represented Surge Energy Inc. on its $135 Million Oil and Gas Acquisition with Fort Calgary.
- Acted for Surge Energy Inc. on its $80 million oil and gas transaction with Bonavista Energy.
Leading Lawyer: Energy: Oil & Gas (Transactional)
Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Energy (Oil & Gas)
Lexpert Special Edition: Energy
Lexpert Rising Stars: Leading Lawyer Under 40
The Legal 500 Canada
Energy: Oil & Gas
Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading lawyer in the area of Corporate Law