Kerri brings extensive industry expertise in oil and gas to help clients achieve long-term success
Kerri Howard is a partner in the Business Law Group in Calgary and in our national Oil & Gas Group. Her practice focuses on corporate/commercial matters in Canada’s energy and power sectors, with specialization in the oil & gas industry.
Kerri advises clients on mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property licensing, structured finance and derivative transactions, and securities matters. She has profound experience in M&A and disposition transactions (including asset exchange transactions), joint venture and partnership arrangements, and corporate reorganizations and restructurings. In addition to conventional upstream and midstream oil and gas arrangements, Kerri also advises on the development of clean-energy and other power projects, such as gas, wind, solar and hydro-electric.
Kerri’s work in the energy sector includes advising on gas and power supply arrangements, services agreements, natural gas storage and processing arrangements, petroleum and natural gas lease arrangements (including title review), participation agreements, farm-in and farmout agreements, royalty agreements, joint operating agreements and conventional upstream and midstream facility agreements.
Kerri also has significant experience in structured finance transactions, including the negotiation and drafting of physical and financial commodity (gas, oil, power, coal) interest rate and foreign exchange derivative agreements (ISDA, NAESB, GasEDI), and related credit support arrangements, as well as advising on other structured finance-related matters. Kerri is a current member of the Derivatives Advisory Committee of the Alberta Securities Commission, advising on policy matters and regulation in respect of derivatives transactions.
Kerri’s profound experience in transactions, projects and regulatory issues makes her a trusted advisor to both local and international clients. She provides counsel to major corporations during transactions involving both Canadian and international entities and assets, and has advised a number of U.S. and other foreign clients on Canadian-specific regulatory, documentary and other legal matters associated with derivatives arrangements. She brings a strong understanding of the legal and regulatory environment for energy exploration and development in Canada, allowing clients to enter the Canadian market and perform cross-border transactions with confidence.
Kerri received her B.Com from the University of Victoria in 2000, and her LLB from University of Calgary in 2004. She is a member of the Canadian Bar Association, the Calgary Bar Association, and the Law Society of Alberta.
- Acted for an oil and gas midstream company in a number of acquisition and divestiture transactions, and natural gas processing and storage arrangements
- Counsel to TORC Oil & Gas Ltd. in its acquisition from Surge Energy Inc. of SE Saskatchewan and Manitoba oil and gas assets for $430 million
- Counsel to Perpetual Energy Inc. in its asset disposition to Tourmaline Oil Corp. for $256.5 million
- Acted for two Korean private equity funds in a $650 million partnership joint venture with Harvest Operating Corp.
- Member of the team acting for TORC Oil & Gas Ltd. in its $510 million acquisition of low decline, high netback, light oil producing assets in southeast Saskatchewan
- Counsel to Idemitsu Canada Corporation in its joint venture with AltaGas Ltd. for the exploration and development of LNG opportunities in British Columbia
- Acted for Surge Energy Inc. on a number of oil and gas asset acquisition in Saskatchewan
- Acted for Tokai Carbon in the acquisition of a waste heat recovery unit associates with a carbon black facility in Medicine Hat, Alberta
- Acts for a number of clients in the drafting and negotiation of licensing and services agreements
- Advises a number of clients in respect of the Canadian regulatory environment for derivatives transactions
- Acted for a number of energy producers in the negotiation of ISDA Master Agreements and associated Credit Support Annexes
- Acted for a number of clients for the drafting and negotiation of long-form confirmations in respect of commodity and currency swap transactions
- Acted for a number of energy producers in the negotiation of GasEDI and NAESB Agreements for physical commodity transactions
Member, Canadian Bar Association, Member, Law Society of Alberta, Member, Calgary Bar Association, Member, Canadian Energy Law Foundation, Member, Petroleum Acquisitions & Divestitures Association