With his industry-leading experience and unconditional commitment to excellence, Louis-Nicolas provides clients with innovative solutions for their most complex matters.
Louis-Nicolas Boulanger is a partner in the Business Law Group in Montréal. Recognized for his market knowledge, his practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, project finance and general corporate and commercial transactions in the power, mining and infrastructure sectors (including in the engineering and construction industries).
Louis-Nicolas works with a broad range of clients including Canadian and international purchasers, vendors, investors, developers, and lenders in connection with energy projects (including wind, hydro and co-generation power projects), mining projects and infrastructure projects in Québec, Canada and around the world. Such clients, which range from strategic stakeholders and utilities to financial investors such as pension and investment funds, value his responsiveness, foresight, and his ability to provide comprehensive insights to mitigate risk and successfully move complex projects through their life cycles from the initial development and construction stages to monetization and divestiture.
Additionally, Louis-Nicolas has advised various engineering and construction service suppliers on acquisition or sale transactions. Some of Louis-Nicolas’ recent experience includes:
- acting for Sayona Mining Limited and its subsidiary Sayona Québec Inc. in connection with its $196 million acquisition of North American Lithium Inc., owner of a lithium mine in Québec, in the context of Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act (Canada) proceedings;
- acting for Wyloo Metals Pty Ltd in connection with its entering into of a $25 million earn-in option and joint venture arrangement with Orford Mining Corporation in connection with the West Raglan nickel project located in Nunavik, Quebec;
- acting for Champion Iron Limited in connection with its $45 million acquisition of the Kamistiatusset iron ore project in Newfoundland and Labrador from Alderon Iron Ore Corp. in the context of its receivership proceedings;
- acting for New South Wales Treasury Corporation in connection with its acquisition of a 49% interest in a portfolio of eight hydroelectric power generation facilities owned by H2O Power, an affiliate of PSP Investments;
- acting for Vinci Energies in connection with its acquisition of Transelec Common Inc., a company specialized in the construction and maintenance of energy network infrastructure in Québec;
- acting for Champion Iron Limited and Québec Iron Ore Inc. in connection with various transactions, including the acquisition of the Bloom Lake iron ore mine near Fermont, Québec, from Cliffs Natural Resources, and the approximately $650 million transactions for the refinancing of the mine, the preferred share investment by Caisse de placement et dépôt du Québec and the acquisition of the interest held by Ressources Québec Inc.;
- acting for Glencore Canada Corporation, as secured creditor, in connection with the entering into a $180 million senior secured silver stream credit facility between Falco Resources Ltd. and Osisko Gold Royalties Ltd;
- acting for Alaris Royalty Corporation in connection with the sale of the S.M. Group International, a Montréal-based engineering firm, to FNX-Innov in the context of a Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act process;
- acting for Invenergy Renewables LLC in connection with the $215 million sale to Boralex Inc. of its interests in five wind farms located in Québec with a net installed capacity of 201 MW;
- acting for Enbridge Inc. in connection with the sale of a 49% interest in select Canadian onshore renewable power assets to Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB) for approximately $1.75 billion;
- acting for Eurovia, a subsidiary of the Vinci Group, in connection with the acquisitions of Pavages Chenail Inc.’s assets and of certain assets of the TNT Group, including quarries, asphalt concrete plants and infrastructure construction activities located in Québec, Canada;
- acting for Nemaska Lithium Inc. in connection with its $1.1 billion financing package for its Whabouchi lithium mine and its Shawinigan lithium hydroxide and carbonate production facility, as well as in connection with Johnson Matthey Battery Materials’ financing of the Phase 1 Plant and related tolling and offtake arrangements;
- acting as Canadian counsel for Invenergy in connection with the acquisition by AMP Capital of a 50% interest in a portfolio of natural gas power generation facilities owned by Invenergy Clean Power LLC and located in the United States, Canada and Mexico;
- acting for Covanta Environmental Solutions in connection with the acquisition of Quantex Environmental, a waste-management business in Ontario, Canada;
- acting for Gaz Métro Plus in its C$25.8 million acquisition of Veolia North America’s participation in CDH Solutions & Operations Limited Partnership, owner of the CCUM urban thermal energy network in Montréal;
- acting for Invenergy Wind LLC in connection with its $2 billion sale of a portfolio of US and Canadian wind projects with a combined installed capacity of 930 MW to TerraForm Power; and
- acting for Enbridge Inc. in connection with various transactions, acquisitions and joint ventures, including its recent acquisition from EDF Énergies Nouvelles of a 50% interest in three wind projects off the coast of France with a combined installed capacity of 1,425 MW.
An active member of the community, Louis-Nicolas regularly contributes to industry publications and is a member of the board of directors of AluQuébec, an organization coordinating various working groups in the Québec aluminum industry. He is also the Chair of the Board of Directors of the Théâtre de la Banquette Arrière, a non-profit theatre company performing in Montréal and across Québec.
Louis-Nicolas graduated from Université Laval in 2004 and was called to the Québec bar in 2006.
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Energy- Electricity; Infrastructure; Project finance; Corporate Commercial Law; and Mergers & Aquisitions
Lexpert Rising Stars
Leading lawyers under the age of 40
Lexpert Special Edition: Mining
Lexpert Special Edition: Infrastructure
Lexpert Special Edition: Energy
Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading Lawyer: Energy Regulatory Law