Disponible en anglais seulement
Mark Risebrough is an Associate in our Calgary office. His practice focuses on corporate, commercial, real property, energy, and public law matters. Mark has provided counsel on complex transactions and disputes and appeared at all levels of court in Alberta, the Ontario and British Columbia superior courts, and the Ontario and Alberta securities commissions.
Mark’s representative experience includes:
- representing a mining company in a US$3.3B acquisition;
- defending an energy company in C$1B litigation relating to a product supply agreement for natural gas and associated NGLs transported on an international pipeline;
- representing a public interest group in its landmark challenge to the constitutionality of prolonged solitary confinement in Canadian prisons;
- defending an energy company in a C$171M hostile take-over bid;
- defending an energy company in C$90M litigation relating to the purchase, operation, and sale of petroleum rich lands;
- defending an engineering company in C$70M litigation relating to the failure of mechanically stabilized earth walls during the construction of a large oil sands facility;
- defending a manufacturing company in C$5.5M litigation relating to the failure of certain mechanical systems in a large apartment building;
- representing a bank in C$5M litigation relating to the enforcement of personal guarantees of corporate indebtedness;
- representing a mechanical company in C$4.6M litigation relating to the design, procurement, and management of sub-trades during the construction of a large continuing care facility;
- defending a REIT in C$1.25M litigation relating to the interpretation, enforcement, and termination of a commercial lease, including defending against injunctive relief and obtaining security for costs;
- representing a holding company in US$400K litigation relating to the failure of a share purchase agreement and misrepresentations;
- representing an energy company in C$200K litigation relating to a cybersecurity breach;
- defending a property manager in a judicial review of a human rights decision; and
- representing and defending landowners in litigation relating to commercial and environmental operations on brownfield and greenfield sites.
Mark manages our involvement with the King's Bench Amicus Project at the Calgary Courts Centre, which provides pro bono chambers advocacy to self-represented litigants. He is also actively involved in our recruitment and mentorship initiatives.
Prior to joining the firm, Mark worked for a political action group in the energy sector and on Parliament Hill. Mark obtained his J.D. from the University of Ottawa in 2019, where he was an editor of the Ottawa Law Review. He also earned an FLS certificate from Laval University in 2016 and a B.A. (First Class Honours) from St. Francis Xavier University in 2015.
Outside the office, Mark enjoys golfing, travelling, and socializing.