With keen business instincts, Shevaun is invested in clients’ success. A skilled negotiator with energy to spare, she gets the deal done.
Shevaun McGrath is a partner in the firm’s Toronto office and Co-Head of McCarthy Tétrault’s National Private Equity Group. An accomplished deal-maker, Shevaun’s practice is focused on private equity, mergers and acquisitions, and capital markets.
With a proven ability to assist clients with investment opportunities, and an instinct for negotiating the best outcomes, Shevaun takes a practical and business-driven approach to clients’ transactions. She advises domestic and foreign companies, both public and private, on their M&A, divesture and capital raising activities. In her private equity practice, Shevaun represents institutional investors in their investment activities, including direct investments, investments in private equity and other alternative investment funds and fund formation.
Shevaun’s experience includes cross-border and domestic transactions in a wide range of industries, including representing:
- City Capital Ventures in its acquisition of Burger King and Pizza Hut franchisee business from Redberry Group
- Vista Equity Partners in its $4.4 billion take private acquisition of DH Corp
- JP Morgan and Anchorage Capital Group in their investment in Davie Shipyard and Federal Fleet Services
- L’Oreal USA in its $US1.3 billion acquisition of three consumer brands from Valeant Pharmaceuticals
- OMERS Private Markets in its disposition of Ainsworth Inc.
- Northleaf Capital Partners in its primary, secondary and co-investment investments in various domestic and foreign investment funds
- CPPIB in its primary, secondary and co-investment investments in various domestic and foreign investments funds
- Canada Post Pension Plan in its investments in various investment funds.
Shevaun is an active volunteer in the Toronto and surrounding community. A past board member of Bereaved Families of Ontario, Shevaun regularly volunteers with BFO and acts as a facilitator to assist parents dealing with the loss of infant children.
She received her LLB from Queen’s University in 1998 and her BA in Political Science from McGill University in 1995.
Band 1: Private Equity - Fund Formation - Nationwide Canada
Recognized Practitioner: Private Equity - Buyouts
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Repeatedly Recommended: Private Equity
Lexpert Special Edition – Finance and M&A
The Legal 500 - Canada
Next Generation Lawyer: Corporate and M&A
Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading Lawyer in the areas of Corporate Law, Private Funds Law and Securities Law
IFLR 1000 Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms
Notable Practitioner: Private Equity, M&A
Recognized as a leading lawyer in Private Equity
Lexpert Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40