Known for his experience and strategic insight, John provides clients with the resolutions to their most challenging transactions.
John is a partner in our Toronto office. Recognized for his in-depth market knowledge and seasoned expertise, he maintains a commercial real estate practice covering all aspects of real estate transactions, including large- and mid-scale secured financing, securitizations, construction contracts, asset management and development agreements, joint ventures, operating contracts, leasing, and licensing.
Widely considered to be a leader in his field, John acts for a broad range of clients in complex, large-scale transactions. Clients value his creativity, entrepreneurial approach, and ability to capitalize on opportunities and mitigate obstacles quickly and effectively. As the first call for clients requiring comprehensive guidance for sophisticated real estate matters, John leverages his decades of experience to negotiate, structure, and close deals on time and on budget.
Some of John’s recent transactions include:
- Acted on behalf of Slate Asset Management in respect of $1.14BN purchase of 97 property portfolio from Cominar REIT.
- Acted on behalf of purchaser of 50% interest in Bay Adelaide Centre East and West (C$850MM) and related bond financing (C$450MM).
- Acted on behalf of Royal Bank of Canada in respect of C$250MM loans relating to RioCan-HBC Limited Partnership in respect of two properties leased to Hudson’s Bay Company located in Montreal and Ottawa and related securitization.
- Act regularly for European lenders in respect of loans relating to office properties located in Canada.
- Acted for Slate Office REIT in respect of its sale of 25% undivided interest in six office properties located in the Greater Toronto Area and related financings.
- Acted for The Bank of Nova Scotia and lending syndicate in respect of C$320MM credit facility to StorageVault Canada Inc. in respect of portfolio purchase.
John earned his LLB from the University of Victoria and was called to the Ontario bar in 1997.
Band 1: Real Estate - Nationwide Canada
Band 1: Real Estate - Ontario
The Legal 500 - Canada
Leading Lawyer: Real Estate
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Asset securitization; Property development; and Project finance
Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A
Lexpert Special Edition: Infrastructure
The Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada
Leading Lawyer: Project Finance, Property Development
Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading lawyer in the area of real estate law
Best Lawyers in Canada
Lawyer of the Year - Real Estate Law
PLC: Which Lawyer