Ranked among the world's best infrastructure practices, we adeptly execute on more infrastructure projects than any firm in Canada
Major infrastructure projects require skilled and practiced legal counsel to anticipate potential issues and mitigate long-term risk. The sheer volume and overall complexity of infrastructure mandates we’ve supported position us well to provide the practical and strategic guidance you need to manage your critical infrastructure projects.
Supporting infrastructure's long-term success - in Canada and around the world
Consistently recognised in Tier 1 for our market-leading counsel, leading government entities, bidding consortia, financial institutions, constructors, service providers and equity investors seek our advice on a full range of issues related to the procurement, construction, project finance and development of:
- correctional facilities and courthouses;
- healthcare, long-term care centres, and senior housing facilities;
- fibre optic lines and telecommunications;
- highways, roads, and bridges;
- light and heavy rail systems;
- power projects, including transmission lines;
- schools and universities;
- stadiums and recreational facilities; and
- water and wastewater systems - and more.
In one year alone, we played a significant role on 66% of Canada’s infrastructure projects.
Entrenched in the industry through our co-founding and continued participation in The Canadian Council for Public-Private Partnerships, our strong relationships with major project participants, and our integral involvement in the establishment of the Canada Infrastructure Bank means that we understand infrastructure inside and out, demonstrated by our involvement in significant projects, including advising:
- Vantage Airport Group in a US$4 billion project to redevelop and operate New York’s LaGuardia Airport;
- Port City Water Partners in connection with the design, construction, financing, operation and maintenance of a water treatment plant and storage reservoirs in Saint-John, New Brunswick;
- the lenders to a bidder for the Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Sainte-Justine Project in Montreal;
- the concessionaire on all aspects of the US$285 million L.F. Wade International Airport Redevelopment Project in Bermuda;
- Infrastructure Ontario in the structuring, procurement, negotiation and settlement of the C$514 million 2015 Pan/Parapan American Games Athletes’ Village Project in Toronto;
- the design-builder and service provider on the $230 million Next Generation Kentucky Information Highway Project, a high speed fibre optic network spanning the state of Kentucky;
- Affinity Partnerships in connection with the design, construction, financing, operation and maintenance of the BC Children’s and BC Women’s Hospital Redevelopment Project, Phase 2;
- Northern Lights General Partnership in connection with the design, construction, financing, operation and maintenance of the Mackenzie Valley Fibre Link Project, a high speed fibre optic network in the Northwest Territories;
- Nieuport Aviation Infrastructure, Partners Group as consortium lead, in its acquisition of the Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport passenger terminal from Porter Aviation;
- a bidder for the Finch West Light Rail Transit Project, a multi-billion dollar project to design, build, finance, operate and maintain a new 11 kilometre dedicated light rail transit extension in Toronto, Ontario;
- the lenders to a bidder for the George Massey Tunnel Replacement Project, a multi-billion dollar project to design, build, finance, operate and maintain a new bridge over, and decommission the existing tunnel under, the Fraser River in the Metro Vancouver area in British Columbia; and
- Infrastructure Ontario on the construction of a Forensic Services and Coroner's Complex in Toronto.
One point of contact for your end-to-end infrastructure needs
We have the resources to develop nationally integrated and multidisciplinary teams - including expertise in project finance, procurement, zoning and planning, aboriginal, environmental, and other critical areas - to meet your specific project requirements.
With demonstrated experience, you can confidently rely on our counsel and guidance throughout each project phase - developing procurement models; designing and implementing an effective and compliant RFQ/RFP process; understanding deal and tax structures; negotiating construction, service or lending agreements; and more. We advise on all aspects of project structuring and finance, and regularly act for domestic and foreign project proponents, banking groups and syndicates, and underwriters in connection with large project finance transactions in Canada and internationally. We can be your single advisor for the life cycle of your project.
A solid foundation for your next infrastructure project.
IFLR1000: Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms
Tier 1 – Project Finance
Band 1: Projects: PPP & Infrastructure - Canada
Infrastructure; Projects: PPP & Infrastructure; Real Estate
Projects: PPP & Infrastructure; Transportation: Rail & Road - Leading Firm
The Legal 500
Infrastructure and Projects
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Property Development - Leading Firms
Infrastructure Journal League Tables
Infrastructure, Projects and Transactions
IFLR 1000: The Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms
North America Rail Deal of the Year: Hurontario LRT
North America Transmission Deal of the Year: Wataynikaneyap Power Transmission Project
North America Utility Deal of the Year: ESAP Modernisation Project
North America Rail Deal of the Year: Finch West LRT Project
North America Roads Deal of the Year: Gordie Howe International Bridge Project
North America Social Infrastructure Deal of the Year: Royal Inland Hospital Patient Care Tower Project
Americas Transport Deal of the Year: Gordie Howe International Bridge Project