Disponible en Anglais seulement
Susan Wortzman is a partner in the Toronto offices of McCarthy Tétrault and leads the firm’s e-Discovery and information management practice. Susan was named one of the Top 25 Most Influential Lawyers in 2020 by Canadian Lawyer Magazine.
Susan’s creativity, legal and business acumen, and commitment to innovation and technology ensure that her clients receive effective and cutting edge advice. Susan believes that managing information is essential to businesses as information is often their most important asset.
Susan is the Founder of MT>3, formerly Wortzmans, which is recognized as Canada’s leading law firm specializing in e-Discovery and information governance. MT>3 was acquired by McCarthy Tétrault on December 31, 2016. In addition to supporting the firm’s Litigation and Competition Law groups, it also supports the Tax, Business Law and Real Property groups using technology and machine learning to assist with all aspects of document review, due diligence, and data analysis.
Susan also provides advice to clients on information management and technology strategies. Susan and her team work extensively with clients to develop information governance policies and strategies, best practice guidelines and litigation readiness plans for managing electronic information.
Susan’s expertise in e-Discovery was developed during her long tenure as a partner at one of Canada’s leading litigation firms, where her practice encompassed a broad range of civil litigation, acting for corporate clients, small to mid-sized businesses and individuals in a wide variety of commercial disputes.
A leader in the e-Discovery community, Susan served as Chair of the Sedona Canada Working Group from 2006 to 2010, supervising the development of provincial and national guidelines for e-Discovery. Susan is a sought-after and frequent lecturer on e-discovery and information governance topics, and is regularly quoted in industry publications and other media. She has written several seminal papers concerning e-discovery and its impact on litigation in Canada. She has also chaired and participated in professional committees that have developed provincial and national reports and guidelines for e-Discovery.
Susan is a member of The Sedona Canada Steering Committee, and she is the 2023 Program Director of the Osgoode Certificate in e-Discovery, Information Governance and Privacy. Susan is currently on the Board of and Corporate Secretary of the Toronto Arts Foundation and Toronto Arts Council and also sits on the AGO’s Curators’ Circle Committee. Previously Susan served as a Board Member for Toronto Biennial of Art, Canadian Stage, and Tarragon Theatre, and co-Chaired the Art Toronto Opening Night Committee for several years.
RECENT PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Co-Author, E-Discovery and Information Governance in Canada, LexisNexis Canada, Fourth Edition, 2022
- October 14, 2022, presenter at "e-Discovery Leaders Live", ACEDS
- September 7, 2022, presenter at "Digital Transformation and Your Law Practice", Canadian Lawyer
- June 29, 2022, Panelist at "Human-Centric Approach to Legal Tech Revolution", Global Litigation and e-Discovery ConfEx
- March 8, 2022, Presenter at "Effective Advocacy in the Digital Era", CBA Skilled Lawyer Series
- February 25, 2022, Presenter at "Addressing Ambiguity in Responding to Risk Through Internal Investigations, Women General Counsel Canada GCU
- February 3, 2021, Speaker on “Information Governance – What Is It and Why Is It Important” at Practising Law Institute
- February 4, 2021, Speaker on “Supercharge your RelativityOne Experience” at Legalweek(year) 2021
- February 24, 2021, Speaker on “Canada’s Privacy Overhaul: Deep Dives into Key Topics” at McCarthy Tétrault
- December 9, 2020, Speaker on “e-Discovery & Confidence: Legal Leadership in Times of Pandemic” at Global Legal ConfEx
- November 26, 2020, Speaker on “Emerging Litigation and Case Resolution Strategies” at the Digital Enforcement Summit
- November 12, 2020, Speaker at Relativity “Thought Leadership Webinar”
- October 23, 2020, Panelist at “Fall Forum – Legal Technology and Artificial Intelligence Panel” at Advocates’ Society’s Fall Forum
- October 29, 2019, Speaker on “Shielding Your Organization from Data Privacy Nightmares” at Today’s General Counsel Webinar
- October 23-25, 2019, Speaker on “The Intersection of Data Governance and Protecting Privacy” at the Privacy and Access Council of Canada’s National Privacy and Data Governance Congress, Calgary
- April 3, 2019, Speaker and Moderator on “Data and Privacy Risk Management: Best Practices to Protect your Organization” at McCarthy Tetrault, Toronto
- March 26, 2019, Speaker at “Prospering in a Time of Disruption” at the Toronto Board of Trade
- March 1, 2019, Speaker on “Divine Discoveries: Building a Great Case” at the Canadian Bar Association (OBA Young Lawyers Division Program)
- February 20, 2019, Speaker at the 9th In-House Counsel Summit at the Law Society of Toronto
- Author, E-Discovery in Canada, LexisNexis Canada, Third Edition 2017
- November 15, 2016, Panelist on “Managing Insider Threat and Information Governance” at the EY Conference in Calgary
- October 25, 2016, Speaker on “ESI in the Headlines” at the E-discovery Institute Conference
- June 9, 2016, Speaker on “Understanding the World of Electronic Documents”
- May 25-26, 2016, CIGO Summit Discussion Leader on “Technologies, Trends and Threats and Opportunities for the CIGO of the Future”
- May 11, 2016, Corporate State Summit Speaker on “The Future of Learning”
- November 4, 2015, TIP Conference Speaker on “Developing a Strong Litigation Readiness Strategy”
- October 29, 2015, OBA E-Discovery Institute Speaker on “Cybersecurity – How to Manage Information to Protect Against Cyber Threats”
- September 30, 2015, IGI CIGO Summit, Speaker on “Law Firms Blazing the IG Trail”
- September 25, 2015, Legaltech Toronto, Speaker on “Mitigating Risks with Third Party Providers”
- September 14, 2015, Cape Town, Africa, Presenting a Session on “The Collision of Information Governance and e-Discovery”
- August 27, 2015, Speaker at “Organizational Management of Cyber Security for Private and Public Sector Institutions in 2015 LIVE Webcast”
- May 29, 2015, ILCO Conference Panel Speaker on “Upcoming Revisions to the Sedona Canada Principles and Commentary"
- April 21, 2015, Speaker at BCLMA’s Webinar “Introducing the 2nd Edition of The Sedona Canada Principles Addressing eDiscovery”
- February 26, 2015, Moderator at “The Second Edition of The Sedona Canada Principles Addressing Electronic Discovery” Webinar
Who's Who Legal: Thought Leaders Global Elite
Avocats spécialisés en litige et en administration de la preuve électronique
Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading Lawyer: Professional Malpractice Law
Canadian Lawyer’s Top 25 Most Influential Lawyers in Canada