Disponible en Anglais seulement
Sean leads our Bankruptcy & Restructuring practice in Calgary and has gained a reputation as a leading strategic advisor in all aspects of complex reorganizations, debt restructurings, and insolvency matters.
With experience advising public and private debtors, creditors, strategic and financial acquirers of distressed assets, major financial institutions and other lenders, monitors, receivers and trustees, private equity including distressed / special situation funds, he understands all perspectives of financial restructuring matters, enabling efficient and timely advice when challenging business circumstances arise. Whether a CCAA proceeding or complex restructuring matter, Sean is known for taking a creative and business-oriented approach both in the boardroom and the courtroom which has attracted clients in a variety of industries throughout Canada and the US.
Sean is a frequent speaker to members of the bar, licensed insolvency trustees and other professional associations in relation to insolvency and financial restructuring matters. Sean is a member of a variety of professional organizations related to financial restructuring and insolvency including the Insolvency Institute of Canada. Sean served as President of both of the Pacific Northwest Chapter of the Turnaround Management Association and the Insolvency Section of the Canadian Bar Association (Southern Alberta).
Sean’s past and current community activities include Pro Bono Students Canada, Calgary Legal Guidance, Student Legal Assistance, Queen’s Bench Amicus program, Inn from the Cold Society (Vice Chair), and Southern Alberta Brain Injury Society (President).
Sean has been active in various aspects of the firm’s administration including serving as chair of the Calgary Professional Resources Committee, the Practice Lead of the Litigation Group in Calgary, and is currently the Alberta Region Chair of the firm’s Gender Equality Action Group.
Sean’s interests include downhill skiing, golf, sailing and hiking. He is an active member of the Calgary Petroleum Club, Silver Springs Golf & Country Club, Calgary Winter Club, and Bow Valley Athletic Club.
RECENT DISTRESSED TRANSACTIONS AND RESTRUCTURING PROCEEDINGS
- Counsel to Antarctica Capital in its successful stalking horse bid acquisition via dip credit bid of the Geosys / Earth Daily divisions of UrtheCast Corp. The CCAA proceedings were commenced in the BC Supreme Court and involved a multi-jurisdictional acquisition including Chapter 15 proceedings in the US Bankruptcy Court for the District of Minnesota, redressement judiciare proceedings in Toulouse, France, in addition to coordinating acquisitions of related divisions in Switzerland, Australia and Brazil.
- Canadian counsel to Harbin Pharmaceutical in relation to its successful US $760 million acquisition of GNC pursuant to a stalking horse bid in the Chapter 11 proceedings of GNC Holdings Inc. The Canadian component of the acquisition was undertaken through recognition proceedings in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice (Commercial List).
- Canadian counsel to Magris Resources Inc. in relation its successful acquisition of Imerys Talc pursuant to a stalking horse bid in the Chapter 11 proceedings of Imerys Talc America Inc. The Canadian component of the acquisition was undertaken through recognition proceedings in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice (Commercial List).
- Conflict counsel to Spartan Delta Corp. in relation to a contested sale approval and vesting order application in Bellatrix’s CCAA proceedings commenced in Calgary, Alberta. Spartan prevailed in the application and closed its acquisition of Bellatrix.
- Counsel to Northern Pulp Nova Scotia Corporation in its ongoing CCAA restructuring proceedings before the British Columbia Supreme Court in relation to Northern Pulp’s mill located in Pictou County, Nova Scotia.
CCAA MONITOR ENGAGEMENTS
Lead counsel to the court appointed Monitor in the following matters: Point North Exploration, Trident Exploration Corp. ULC, Lone Pine Resources Canada Ltd., Concrete Equities, Harvest Group of Companies, Teliphone Data Centres Inc., Cequence Energy Ltd., Connacher Oil and Gas Ltd., Cougar Oil and Gas Canada Inc., Shire International Real Estate Investments, Omniarch Capital Corporation, Broadacre Agriculture Inc., RS Technologies Inc., Lightstream Resources Ltd., Argent Energy Trust, JMB Crushing Systems Inc., and Quicksilver Resources Canada Inc.
Leading Lawyer: Restructuring & Insolvency - Canada
Leading Lawyer: Restructuring & Insolvency
Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Insolvency & Financial Restructuring
Lexpert Special Edition: Litigation
Lexpert Special Edition: Corporate
Litigation Star, Bankruptcy
IFLR 1000 Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms
Highly Regarded: Restructuring & Insolvency
Who's Who Legal: Canada
Insolvency & Restructuring
Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading lawyer in the area of Insolvency & Financial Restructuring Law