With extensive market insight and industry expertise, Lara delivers results
As the firm's Industry Strategy Leader, Lara is responsible for leading the firm and its people to truly understand and align with the unique needs of our clients and their industries. She empowers our team to nimbly leverage firm expertise in industries where Canada is leading the charge globally to provide unparalleled industry focused advice to our clients.
Powered by market intelligence, a global network of trusted relationships and industry focus, Lara is relentless in her pursuit of client success at McCarthy Tétrault. As Leader of our National Retail and Consumer Markets Group, she has built a full-service, cross-practice industry group that seamlessly supports clients with both game changing and day-to-day issues.
Establishing and growing your place in the competitive Canadian market
Lara’s vision for clients’ businesses, based on a thorough understanding of their industries, challenges and opportunities. It is the hallmark of her practice, with the end-goal of helping them achieve success and remain competitive.
As a leading lawyer in retail and consumer markets transactions, Lara is a trusted advisor to consumer-facing companies looking to establish or grow in the Canadian market. She advises global companies entering the Canadian market (whether through M&A, e-commerce, bricks and mortar or a combination) on their market entry strategies and related legal issues.
A highly connected and influential lawyer in the field, Lara brings the benefit of her connections to bear for clients, introducing them to not only what, but who they need to know to achieve their goals. She excels at negotiating mergers and acquisitions as well as corporate reorganizations and commercial matters. Practical in her approach, Lara provides well-informed guidance on entry strategies and legal issues, including securities law requirements, such as continuous disclosure and governance provisions.
Regarded as a skillful negotiator and steadfast client advocate, Lara has played an integral role in numerous high-profile transactions, including:
- Numerous retail and consumer facing businesses on their COVID-19 response, reopening issues and related matters;
- LL Bean on its entry into Canada and agreement with The Jaytex Group;
- A major department store on all aspects of its entry into Canada;
- Home Depot’s US$265 million acquisition of Compact Power and its acquisition of Askuity;
- Several cross-border retailers on their credit card and loyalty programs
- A global jewellery retailer on its expansion into Canada by acquisition of a national jewellery retailer;
- Fyffes’ C$145 million acquisition of Highline Produce Limited;
- Nestlé’s US$7.15 billion strategic alliance with Starbucks;
- Nestlé’s US$2.3 billion acquisition of Atrium Innovations Inc.;
- Unilever’s US$8 billion sale of its spreads business to KKR; and
- Corby Spirit and Wine’s acquisitions of Domaines Pinnacle Inc. and Foreign Affair Winery and its agreements with Pernod Ricard S.A..
At the forefront of retail trends and a thought leader in the community
With her deep sectoral knowledge, Lara is a sought-after expert in the retail, consumer products and hospitality transactions field, speaking regularly on corporate and securities law matters and on business and legal issues affecting consumer-facing businesses. Her appearances include the Retail Industry Leaders Association’s Retail Law Conference, the World Department Store Forum, Food and Consumer Products of Canada and our firm’s Annual Consumer Products & Retail Summit.
With a long-time commitment to community service, Lara serves on the Supplier Advisory Committee of The Home Depot of Canada Foundation and the Board of Governors of The Sterling Hall School, and has served on the board of directors of local charitable groups Sheena’s Place and the Anne Johnston Health Station. Lara is one of the founding members of the Gamechangers group, bringing together female leaders in retail and consumer businesses.
She received her LLB from Queen’s University in 2001.