With high-profile experience in China and Canada, Joyce is uniquely positioned to get deals done for clients at a global scale.
Joyce brings a unique perspective to her practice, skillfully uniting Canadian companies seeking Chinese investors with Chinese companies looking to expand into North America. She also regularly advises corporate executives in the financial sector about taking advantage of opportunities and navigating risk.
Born and raised in Hong Kong and with over 20 years experience working in the North American marketplace, Joyce has both the cultural and business skills necessary to view potential deals from each party’s perspective. Her communication skills - she speaks English, Mandarin and Cantonese fluently - smoothly guide Asian companies into Canada, including joint ventures in mining and other natural resources sectors; and, the technology, life science and real estates industries.
Providing strategic advice to corporate clients
Leadership teams from across Canada and Asia, including public companies listed on TSX, NYSE, HK Stock Exchange, Shanghai Stock Exchange, Shenzhen Stock Exchange asset management companies and investment firms, frequently solicit Joyce’s advice on how to grow their business and make strategic moves in the marketplace, whether within Canada or abroad. She has earned the trust of some of the biggest players in the industry by successfully strategizing with them on:
- structuring and carrying out mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations;
- securities regulatory issues for registrants, investment dealers and investment advisors;
- take-over bids for both targets and offerors;
- public offerings and private placements for issuers across industries, including mining and resources, technology, real estate development, services and education;
- ongoing private transactions, corporate governance, continuous disclosure issues and proxy contests;
- structuring executive and employee compensation and incentive plans for Canadian and international companies.
Joyce earned her BA (Hons) (Jurisprudence) in 1989 and her MA in 1996 from Oxford University, England. Admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales in 1992 and Hong Kong in 1993, she was called to the British Columbia bar in 1995 and practised in London, England and Hong Kong before joining us in our Vancouver office in 1994. Joyce’s professional affiliations include serving as the Legislative Liaison of the Canadian Bar Association, Securities Law section; the Law Society of England and Wales; the Law Society of Hong Kong; the Law Society of British Columbia; the Canadian Bar Association; the Canada-China Business Council and the Hong Kong-Canada Business Association.
As Chair of the firm’s Asia Group and a regular speaker at conferences and seminars focused on business from China and the Asia Pacific region, Joyce has earned an international reputation as an authority in her field.