Disponible en Anglais seulement
Jake Irwin is a partner in our Business Law Group in Toronto. He maintains a general corporate practice which includes mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and joint ventures. Jake focuses primarily on transactional work and routinely assists acquirers and their portfolio companies with important commercial matters and corporate finance.
- Newcrest Mining on its US$460 million acquisition of gold prepay and silver stream facilities and offtake on Lundin Gold's Fruta del Norte gold mine in Ecuador from Orion and Blackstone
- A consortium of buyers including Mubadala Capital, a UAE-based investment company, ParkJockey, a US-based parking operations start-up, and Softbank, a Japanese multinational conglomerate (through a significant investment in ParkJockey), in the acquisition of the Impark from a subsidiary of Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board
- InstarAGF Asset Management, Partners Group and Kilmer Van Nostrand in the sale of Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport's passenger terminal to JP Morgan Asset Management
- Permira Funds, a UK-based private equity firm, in Canadian aspects of the acquisition of the Service Provider Video Software Solutions group from Cisco and subsequent creation of Synamedia
- EllisDon Capital in the acquisition of certain Canadian assets of Carillion
- Newmarket-Tay Power Distribution in its acquisition of Midland Power Utility Corporation
- InstarAGF Asset Management in the acquisition of Skyservice Investments Inc., through the InstarAGF Essential Infrastructure Fund and the acquisition of AMPORTS, Inc. from Lincolnshire Management, Inc.
- Nieuport Aviation Infrastructure, as consortium lead, in the acquisition of the Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport passenger terminal from Porter Aviation
- Renewable Energy Systems Canada Inc. in the sale of its interest in Wataynikaneyap Power LP to FortisOntario Inc.
- E-L Financial Corporation Limited in connection with the sale of The Dominion of Canada General Insurance Company to The Travelers Companies, Inc. for $1.125 billion in cash, subject to adjustment
- Adidas in the Canadian aspects of its $425 million sale of TaylorMade Golf, to KPS Capital Partners
- A Canadian pension fund in its acquisition of a 31.6% equity holdings in an independent nuclear power producer for $450 million
- OMERS on its acquisition from Fairfax of interests in Eurolife, a Greek insurance company
- Harry Rosen on its partnership with Davids
- Synopsys in the Canadian aspects of its acquisitions of Protecode and Elliptic Technologies
- The vendors on the sale of Mister Transmission
- Paperlinx in the sale of Spicers Canada to Central National-Gottesman
- Grupo Cuprum in the acquisition of several Canadian aluminum consumer product companies
- Brookfield Asset Management in the C$4.3 billion acquisition of Enercare Inc. by Brookfield Infrastructure Partners
- Aastra Technologies Limited in its $400 million merger with Mitel Networks Corporation
- Stelco Holdings Inc. in its initial public offering and listing on the TSX and in respect of various follow on offerings
- Bruce Power in respect of over $2.0 billion worth of private placement offerings of senior notes
- AT&T in respect of its $1 billion and $1.35 billion maple bond offerings and Canadian aspects of other international offerings
- Constellation Software Inc. in connection with its rights offering to purchase up to $200 million of unsecured subordinated debentures
- A Canadian data centre in its equity offering to a US-based private equity firm
- The dealers in connection with the initial public offering of several Starlight US Multi-Family Funds
- The dealers in respect of various private placements of senior notes for Canadian pension funds
- Scotia Capital in connection with Brookfield Renewable Energy Partners C$450 million offering for its 166 MW Comber Wind farm in Essex County, Ontario
Commercial Matters, Joint Ventures and Platform Establishment:
- EllisDon Capital in entering a long-term partnership with Fiera Infrastructure Inc.
- Greystone Infrastructure with the establishment of its platform and acquisition of a portfolio of power plants in multiple provinces
- Slate Asset Management in the establishment of its real estate investment platform
- Partnership between Canadian utility company, project developer and First Nations communities in respect of large-scale transmission project
- Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation on its multi-year project to modernize its casino gaming business, including negotiating long-term operating agreements for existing or planned casinos
- Bruce Power in its Amended and Restated Bruce Power Refurbishment Implementation Agreement with the Province of Ontario to provide power to Ontario
- Bruce Power on various major component replacement construction contracts
- Ryerson University on various commercial matters
Jake received his BA in International Relations and Environmental Studies from Trinity College at the University of Toronto in 2005 and his JD from Queen’s University in 2008. He joined the firm in 2013 after practising with firms in Sydney, Australia and in Toronto.
He is a member of the investment committee of LEAP Pecaut Centre for Social Impact, advising on the selection of social ventures with a goal to catalyze large scale social impact by selecting, supporting and scaling breakthrough social ventures and unleashing the potential of collaboration.
He is a member of the Law Society of Ontario, the Canadian Bar Association, the Ontario Bar Association, the Canadian Venture Capital and Private Equity Association and the Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada. He is also a board member of Young Canadian in Finance.
Prix et distinctions
IFLR 1000 Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms
Notable Practitioner: Corporate and M&A
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Private Equity
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Mergers & Acquisitions
Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A