Jacob Klugsberg is an associate in our Litigation Group in Toronto and a key member of the firm’s Public Sector and Government Law groups. Jacob maintains a general litigation practice acting for clients on a variety of proceedings, including commercial cases, class actions, regulatory proceedings, and medical malpractice. Jacob represents individuals, corporations and financial institutions in complex, high-stakes disputes.
Jacob has acted for clients at the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Ontario Court of Appeal, and the Supreme Court of Canada.
Jacob’s litigation experience includes:
- Representing The Toronto-Dominion Bank in a $5.5 billion action arising from the collapse of Stanford International Bank;
- Advising political parties, corporations, and executives on their legal obligations regarding ethical compliance, conflicts of interest, election financing, political advertising, and lobbying;
- Representing a major telecommunications company in proceedings on the Commercial List;
- Defending a Crown Agency in a complex contractual and tort action;
- Representing a real estate developer in a complex multi-million dollar construction matter;
- Representing the Canadian Civil Liberties Association in its landmark challenge to the constitutionality of prolonged solitary confinement in Canadian prisons; and
- Defending physicians against allegations of professional negligence or misconduct.
Jacob is an instructor for the Lawyer as Negotiator Course at Osgoode Hall Law School. Jacob also contributed to the fifth edition of Defending Class Actions in Canada, published by Lexis Nexis.
Jacob Klugsberg received a JD from Osgoode Hall Law School in 2018, where he was awarded the Ronald J. Rolls ’58 Q.C. Prize for Civil Procedure. Jacob also completed an exchange program at the University of Amsterdam where he studied International Law and Arbitration.
During his JD, Jacob acted as Osgoode Student Ambassador, Vice-President of the Jewish Law Student Association, a caseworker for the Community Legal Aid Services Programme, and an active member of the competitive mooting program. Jacob represented Osgoode on the Price Media Law Moot team where he advanced to the International Rounds in Oxford, England.
Prior to law school, Jacob obtained a Bachelor of Health Sciences (Honours) from McMaster University, where he graduated summa cum laude.
Jacob was called to the bar in 2019. He is a member of the Law Society of Ontario, the Ontario Bar Association, the Canadian Bar Association, and the Advocates’ Society.