Disponible en Anglais seulement
Heather is a partner in our Bankruptcy & Restructuring Group in Toronto. Recognized for her in-depth industry knowledge, upfront and direct legal style, and solution-oriented approach, her practice focuses in the areas of commercial insolvency, restructuring, bankruptcy and related litigation.
A highly regarded advisor, Heather regularly represents a broad array of stakeholder groups in commercial restructuring proceedings including debtors, secured creditors, landlords, suppliers, monitors, trustees, and receivers. Clients value her creativity and trust her strategic advice and innovative guidance, each of which she uses to pursue their objectives.
Heather has been involved in numerous significant Canadian and cross-border corporate restructurings including:
- Rothmans, Benson and Hedges (representing the debtor in the ongoing CCAA proceedings restructuring of the Canadian tobacco industry);
- Bondfield Construction Company Limited-controlled P3 Project Companies (representing bank syndicates in the ongoing receiverships relating to the construction of two Ontario hospitals);
- U.S. Steel/Stelco (representing the debtor in its CCAA proceedings);
- The cross-border restructurings of: Takata, SquareTwo and Elephant and Castle;
- Hollinger Canadian Publishing Holdings Co. (representing the CCAA Monitor);
- Cash Store Financial (representing the CCAA Monitor);
- Skyservice Airlines Inc. (representing the court-appointed receiver and bankruptcy trustee);
- Asset Backed Commercial Paper restructuring (representing the Canadian banks); and
- Arctic Glacier Inc. (representing the debtor in its CCAA proceedings).
Prior to joining the Bankruptcy and Restructuring Group in 2008, Heather maintained a general litigation practice at McCarthy Tétrault where she focused on commercial litigation and professional liability defence. Additionally, she served as prosecutor at the Discipline Committee of the Ontario College of Teachers.
Heather plays a vital role in the firm’s student recruitment and mentoring initiatives, organizes the annual Toronto International Film Festival business development event for women lawyers and is committed to diversity and inclusion initiatives at the firm through her role in the Inclusion Now steering committee and as a PRC partner for litigation. She is also a strong supporter of the firm’s United Way Campaign. Heather is a regular speaker and author in the insolvency and restructuring field Heather is a member of the Law Society of Ontario, the Turnaround Management Association, IWIRC, the Advocates’ Society, the Canadian Bar Association and the Ontario Bar Association (where she is on the executive of the insolvency law section).
Heather obtained her B. Arts Sc. (Hons.) from McMaster University, her LLB from Osgoode Hall Law School and her MBA from the Schulich School of Business at York University.
Up and Coming: Restructuring/Insolvency - Canada
Leading Lawyer: Restructuring/Insolvency
Benchmark Litigation Canada
Future Star: Litigation
IFLR 1000 Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms
Highly Regarded: Restructuring & Insolvency, Financial Restructuring
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Insolvency & Financial Restructuring – Insolvency Litigation
Lexpert Special Edition: Litigation