Haiya Peng is an associate in our Business Law Group in Toronto. He maintains a general corporate law practice which includes mergers and acquisitions, banking and secured lending transactions.
Haiya received his JD from Peter A. Allard School of Law at the University of British Columbia in 2018, where he won numerous individual course prizes and volunteered with the Law Students Legal Advice Program. He obtained a Bachelor of Engineering degree from Shanghai Jiao Tong University in 2007 and a Master of Applied Science degree from the University of British Columbia in 2011.
Haiya was called to the Ontario Bar in 2019 and is a member of the Law Society of Ontario, Canadian Bar Association, Ontario Bar Association and Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers.
REPRESENTATIVE TRANSACTIONS INCLUDE:
- Fairfax Africa Holdings Corporation and Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited in the proposed strategic transaction between Fairfax Africa Holdings Corporation and Helios Holdings Limited, the leading Africa-focused private investment firm
- Brookfield Infrastructure and GIC, the Singapore sovereign wealth fund, in the US$8.4 billion acquisition of Genesee & Wyoming Inc., US freight railroad owner and operator
- Novacap in its acquisition of a majority interest in Spectrum Health Care
- Mubadala Investment Company, an Abu Dhabi sovereign wealth fund, in its purchase of US$130 million convertible notes from Equinox Gold
- The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company (Manulife) in the sale of Regional Power Inc. to Connor, Clark & Lunn Infrastructure ("CC&L Infrastructure") and Desjardins
- City Capital Ventures, a US-based principal investment firm, in the acquisition of Burger King and Pizza Hut franchisee business from Redberry Group
- Brookfield Asset Management in the C$4.3 billion acquisition of Enercare Inc. by Brookfield Infrastructure Partners