Situations involving insolvency and financial difficulty demand informed and decisive action.
The ability to apply experience and common sense in a timely manner can make all the difference to protecting your business interests.
McCarthy Tétrault has one of the largest bankruptcy & restructuring groups in Canada, with extensive experience in all areas of the practice. We regularly represent debtors as well as major financial institutions and other capital providers, large corporate creditors and court-appointed monitors, receivers and trustees.
Clients look to us for insightful strategies and solutions because of our:
- Breadth – Our team is experienced in complex insolvency matters and sensitive restructurings. We integrate our multijurisdictional scope and expertise with the firm’s national strength across a broad spectrum of other key practice areas such as banking, litigation, tax, securities, labour and employment, and pensions.
- Cross-border experience – We understand the bankruptcy/insolvency environment on both sides of the Canada-US border, and we regularly act on major international matters with US, European and other co-counsel. This gives us a leading edge in providing efficient solutions to both debtors and creditors, whether the issues are local, national or multinational in nature.
- Track record – Our significant role in most major Canadian and cross-border restructurings, insolvencies and work-outs for more than 20 years has earned us a superlative track record in all areas of this field nationwide.
- Leadership – Leading legal directories and publications routinely acknowledge us as pre-eminent insolvency and restructuring professionals.
- Service – We pride ourselves on responding quickly to our clients’ needs in a proactive and practical manner. We apply a creative, business-oriented approach to achieve their objectives, both in the boardroom and in the courtroom.
We have served as counsel to leading corporations and institutions on matters involving diverse industries: agricultural, automotive, health law, hospitality, manufacturing, professional services, retail, service, sports and recreation. We also provide advice on structured finance & securitizations and help executives acting as directors manage their personal risk, both statutory liability and risk of claims against them (for negligence, etc.).
Restructuring & Insolvency - Leading Firm
Restructuring & Insolvency
The Legal 500 - Canada
Restructuring & Insolvency; Insolvency & Financial Restructuring Leading Firms - Major Full Service
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Insolvency & Financial Restructuring - Leading Firms - Major Full Service; Insolvency & Financial Restructuring
Lexpert / American Lawyer Guide To The Leading 500 Lawyers In Canada
Insolvency & Financial Restructuring
Who’s Who Legal 100 | Who’s Who Legal Canada
Insolvency & Restructuring
IFLR 1000: Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms
Restructuring & Insolvency
IFLR1000 Canada Awards
Canadian Restructuring & Insolvency Deal of the Year - Stornoway Diamond C$946 million CCAA filing