Alain N. Tardif is a partner in our Bankruptcy & Restructuring Group in Montréal. He specializes in restructuring and insolvency matters.
In recent years, Alain has acted in a significant number of restructuring and reorganizations, advising various large corporations (at both the board and management levels), as well as investors, financial advisors, trustees, monitors and receivers.
Engagements in the last few years include acting on behalf of:
- RSM Richter Inc., as trustee in the BIA proceedings of Bentley Leathers Inc.;
- a purchaser in the acquisition of assets of SR Telecom, in its CCAA restructuring;
- a shareholder in the CCAA proceedings of TQS Inc.;
- RSM Richter Inc., as monitor in the CCAA proceedings of Positron Inc.;
- Hydro-Québec, as one of the two general partners in the BIA proceedings of Avestor LLP;
- MEI Technologies Inc., in its CCAA restructuring;
- Invidex Inc., in its BIA restructuring;
- Ferti-Val Inc., Agrior Inc. and Transvalo Inc. in their joint BIA proceedings;
- Raymond Chabot Inc., as court-appointed monitor in the CCAA proceedings of Boutiques Euphoria Inc. and Lingerie Studio Inc. (lingerie wholesaler and retailer);
- RSM Richter Inc., as trustee in the BIA proceedings of Meubles Fly America Inc.;
- Abitibibowater in portions of its CCAA proceedings;
- My Virtual Mannequin Inc. for the shareholders in their insolvency proceedings;
- Société Industrielle de Décolletage et d’Outillage (S.I.D.O.) Ltée in its CCAA and CBCA’s proceedings;
- Wells Fargo Trade Capital in the Jebco International Corp. receivership’s proceedings;
- the most significant stakeholders in the CCAA proceedings of Mecachrome International Inc.;
- Railpower Technologies Corp. in its CCAA and Chapter 15 proceedings;
- Raymor Industries Group in its BIA proceedings.
Significant creditors in matters such as:
- the bankruptcy of Société Immobilière Leroux Inc.;
- the CCAA proceedings of Muscletech Research;
- the bankruptcy of Les Produits forestiers Bellerive – Ka’n’Enda Inc.;
- the CCAA proceedings of ROL Manufacturing Inc.
Alain has recently assisted the World Bank with its report on the observance of standards and codes in Haïti, and Burkina Faso as an Insolvency Law expert.
Alain currently lectures at the Faculty of Law of the Université de Montréal, on the subject of commercial restructuring. He is a member of the Canadian Turnaround Management Association, a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute, and a member of INSOL International. In 2002, he sat on the committee for the accreditation of bankruptcy trustees. In 2002-2003, he was president of the Canadian Bar Association, Bankruptcy and Insolvency Division (Québec chapter).
His expertise and experience have led to regular invitations to speak to various organizations about insolvency issues and to present restructuring strategies tailored to the firm’s clients.
Alain received his LLB from the Université de Montréal in 1989 and his BCL from the University of British-Columbia in 1991.