Alain N. Tardif is a partner in the Bankruptcy and Restructuring Group in Montréal. His practice focuses on corporate restructuring and insolvency matters.
In recent years, Alain has acted in a significant number of restructuring sand reorganizations, advising various large corporations (at both the board and management levels), as well as shareholders, financial advisors, trustees, monitors and receivers.
Below are a few of the clients that Alain has represented in formal restructuring proceedings in the last few years:
- Nemaska Lithium, in its CCAA and CBCA proceedings
- Groupe Dynamite in its CCAA proceedings
- Alaris, as Applicant in the CCAA proceedings of SM Group
- Raymond Chabot Grant Thornton, as monitor with expanded powers in the CCAA proceedings of Aquadis and Gestion Éric Savard
- Deloitte, as monitor with expanded powers in the CCAA proceedings of Fortress
- PwC, as receiver and monitor with expanded powers in the CCAA proceedings of Groupe Capitales Médias
- Coalision (Lolë), in its BIA proceedings
- Groupe Béton Brunet, in its CCAA restructuring
- AbitibiBowater, in portions of its CCAA proceedings
- Richter, as monitor in the CCAA proceedings of Beyond the Rack
- A purchaser in the acquisition of assets of Cliffs Natural Resources
- Significant creditors in the CCAA proceedings of North American Lithium and Groupe Hexagone
- Gradek Energy, in its CCAA proceedings
- Raymond Chabot Grant Thornton, as court-appointed monitor in the CCAA proceedings of Boutiques Euphoria Inc. and Lingerie Studio Inc.
- Richter, as monitor in the CCAA proceedings of Positron Inc.
- Richter, as trustee in the BIA proceedings of Bentley Leathers
He also represented the World Bank as an insolvency law expert with regard to dealings with countries such as Haiti, Burkina Faso, Tunisia and Madagascar.
Alain lectures at the Faculty of Law of the Université de Montréal on the subject of commercial restructuring. He is a member of the Canadian Turnaround Management Association, the American Bankruptcy Institute and INSOL International. He sat on the committee for the accreditation of bankruptcy trustees and served as president of the Canadian Bar Association, Bankruptcy and Insolvency Division (Québec chapter).
His expertise and experience have led to regular invitations to speak to various organizations about insolvency issues and to present restructuring strategies tailored to the firm’s clients.
Alain earned his LL.B from the Université de Montréal in 1989 and his BCL from the University of British Columbia in 1991. He was called to the Barreau du Québec in 1992.
Leading Lawyer: Restructuring/Insolvency
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Consistently Recommended: Insolvency & Financial Restructuring – Financial Restructuring
Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading lawyer in the area of Insolvency and Financial Restructuring