A thorough and open-minded litigator, Jesse is steadfast in his pursuit of top outcomes in complex tax matters, particularly in the financial services, real estate, and consumer goods industries.
Jesse is an associate in McCarthy Tétrault’s National Tax Group and is based in the Firm’s Toronto office. Jesse’s practice focuses on tax litigation and tax disputes, in addition to commodity tax advisory in transactional contexts.
Jesse has a well-developed understanding of the tax dispute process across audit, objection and appeal stages, and he frequently drafts submissions and prepares materials on behalf of clients before federal and Ontario tax authorities, in addition to the Tax Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Appeal, and the Ontario Superior Court. Jesse is knowledgeable in commodity tax matters and he assists clients achieve substantial tax savings and proper compliance with respect to Ontario land transfer tax in trust and partnership structures; GST/HST matters for commercial and residential real estate owners and developers; GST/HST matters for financial institutions and financial services; cross-border customs and sales tax matters, including the new digital sales tax rules; and non-resident registration requirements and compliance.
Jesse publishes, presents, and organizes events on tax-related subject matter and his engagement with current tax developments and the tax community allows better service to clients in an ever-shifting tax landscape. Jesse is a member of the Canadian Tax Foundation and the Canadian Bar Association, he completed the CPA Canada GST/HST In-Depth Course, and he is the Vice-Chair for the Ontario Bar Association Tax Section Executive.
Jesse obtained his J.D./M.B.A. at the University of Toronto in 2017 and he is called to the Bar in Ontario (2018). He earned a BA with Distinction from Queen’s University in 2013.
Recent Publications & Presentations
- “Commodity Tax for the Commercial Landlord”, Tax Section Insider, Ontario Bar Association, October 19, 2021
- “Tax Update 2021 Virtual Seminar – from an Accountant and Lawyer’s Perspective”, co-presenter with Robert Santia and Joe Figliomeni, Fazzari + Partners LLP (February 2021)
- “2020 Tax Law Developments: Impact and Future Implications”, co-presenter with Kathryn Walker and Emily Gair, Ontario Bar Association (January 2021)
- “Tax Penalty Assessments Against Accountants and Advisors,” Tax Section Insider, Ontario Bar Association, January 17, 2021
- “The End of the Line: Remission,” Tax Profile, Number 12, December 2019
- “Callidus Capital Corporation v. Her Majesty the Queen,” co-authored with Angelo Gentile, Sales Tax, Customs & Trade, Federated Press, Volume XVI, No. 2, 2019
- “Recent Cases Award High Costs To Taxpayers,” Tax Section Insider, Ontario Bar Association, March 30, 2019
Member of Best Team, seventh annual Donald G.H. Bowman National Tax Moot, 2017