Scott Smythe is a Partner in the Real Property and Planning Group in the Vancouver office. His practice is focused on commercial real estate and related corporate matters, with a particular emphasis on commercial leasing. His practice involves extensive work with a number of major real estate investors, developers, landlords and tenants.
His recent experience includes:
- acting for the purchaser of the Canada Post building in downtown Vancouver (the largest single asset property purchase in British Columbia in 2013);
- acting for the developer of an 11-air space parcel development in Richmond (the largest air space parcel development in Richmond history);
- acting for an international retailer on its lease of an entire office building, and subsequent $70 million acquisition of the building;
- acting for a private equity fund on multiple acquisitions and developments in British Columbia and Alberta;
- acting for major developers of master planned, phased, mixed-use, strata and industrial developments in the Lower Mainland;
- acting for the landlord of a large portfolio of office towers and industrial and retail properties;
- acting for the purchaser of the Bentall Centre Complex (valued at $1 billion, making it one of the largest deals by value in BC);
- acting for the vendor of the Morgan Crossing Shopping Centre; and
- acting for the vendor of the Ottawa Marriott Hotel.
Scott presents regularly at real estate industry seminars and conferences.
Scott is the co-author of McCarthy Tétrault’s Annotated British Columbia Strata Property Act, published by Carswell in April 2002 and updated annually. He is the co-author of chapters in each of the Continuing Legal Education Society’s Commercial Leasing - Annotated Precedents, Real Estate Practice Manual and Annual Review of Law and Practice publications. He is also co-editor of Real Estate MATTERS, a periodic publication of the Real Property and Planning Group, and a regular contributor to The Lay of the Land, a national Canadian real estate blog.
Scott joined the firm in 1996. He received a BA (Honours) in 1990 and his LLB from the University of British Columbia in 1995. He was called to the British Columbia bar after clerking for the British Columbia Court of Appeal. He is a past Chair of the Real Property Subsection of the Canadian Bar Association (BC Branch) and a member of the Law Society of British Columbia. In 2017, Scott was appointed as a director of the Land Title and Survey Authority of British Columbia.
Leading lawyer in the area of: Real Estate - Nationwide Canada
Band 1: Real Estate - British Columbia
Best Lawyers in Canada
A leading lawyer in the area of real estate law
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Consistently Recommended as a leading lawyer in the areas of property leasing and property development
Lexpert’s 2016 Special Edition
A leading infrastructure lawyer