BOB IS A CREATIVE AND SOLUTIONS-ORIENTED SECURITIES AND PUBLIC M&A LAWYER
Robert (Bob) Richardson is a partner in our mergers and acquisitions (M&A), capital markets and financial services groups in Toronto. A seasoned securities lawyer and former senior banking executive, Bob seeks to achieve clients' business objectives in a way that appropriately balances risks and rewards.
Bob rejoined our firm in 2018, after spending more than 17 years with Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce and CIBC World Markets Inc. While at CIBC, he managed the legal aspects of almost all of CIBC's strategic transactions globally and lead a talented legal department comprised of over 100 business lawyers, litigators, derivatives lawyers and other legal professionals who worked from Toronto, Montreal, New York, London, Hong Kong and Bridgeport. Bob worked closely with CIBC's bankers, capital markets professionals, treasury group and strategy & corporate development team on a wide range of domestic and cross-border acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures and innovative financing transactions. Bob served on the Board of Directors of CIBC's Canadian and European investment banking subsidiaries and was a member of most of CIBC's key governance and deals committees, including Capital Markets Executive Committee, Fairness Opinions Committee, Due Diligence Committee, Investment Committee and Reputation and Legal Risks Committee.
Since returning to our firm in April 2018, Bob’s transactional experience has included:
- Representing Brookfield Infrastructure Partners in its $4.3 billion acquisition of Enercare Inc.
- Representing InstarAGF Asset Management, Partners Group and Kilmer Van Nostrand in the sale of Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport's passenger terminal to JP Morgan Asset Management
In addition, Bob frequently represents leading investment banks regarding complex or contested transactions, including:
- Representing Greenhill & Co. in its capacity as exclusive financial advisor to Canopy Growth Corporation in connection with Constellation Brands' $5.1 billion strategic equity investment
- Representing Scotia Capital in its capacity as exclusive financial advisor to Aphria Inc. in responding to an unsolicited takeover bid by Green Growth Brands
- Representing Greenhill & Co. in its capacity as exclusive financial advisor to Canopy Growth Corporation in connection with Canopy's €145 million acquisition of Storz & Bickel GmbH & Co. KG
- Representing National Bank Financial in its capacity as exclusive financial advisor to exactEarth Ltd. in connection with a strategic investment by MM Asset Management Inc. and Hisdesat Servicios Estratégicos
- Representing Greenhill & Co. in its capacity as exclusive financial advisor to Canopy Growth Corporation in connection with Canopy's $300 million acquisition of an option to acquire Acreage Holdings for US$3.4 billion
Representing CIBC World Markets in its capacity as exclusive financial advisor to TransAlta Corp. in connection with Brookfield Renewables' $750 million strategic investment and the related opposition by Mangrove Partners
While at CIBC, Bob was involved in various domestic and cross-border transactions, including:
- CIBC’s $6.8B acquisition of Chicago-based PrivateBancorp, Inc., a publicly-listed commercial and retail bank
- Countless bought deals, IPOs, take-over bids, mergers and divestitures involving CIBC World Markets as an underwriter or financial advisor
- CIBC’s US$250M acquisition of Atlantic Trust from Invesco
- CIBC’s $3B equity offering in 2008, which used an innovative combination of a private placement with a concurrent bought deal
- CIBC’s participation in $32B restructuring of Canada’s third party ABCP market
- CIBC’s participation in a the US$550M recapitalization of Bermuda-based Bank of Butterfield
- CIBC’s sale of its U.S. investment banking and leveraged finance business
- CIBC’s $3.5B three-way Aeroplan agreement with Aimia Inc. and TD Bank
In addition, Bob was the General Counsel and Corporate Secretary of Maple Acquisition Corporation, which was formed by a consortium of 13 of Canada’s largest financial institutions to acquire TMX Group Inc., for $3.3 billion.
Bob is an adjunct professor at Osgoode Hall Law School and Western University Faculty of Law, where he teaches the Corporate Finance courses. Bob has served on the Canada Committee of RefuSHE (formerly Heshima Kenya), a Chicago-based NGO that provides sanctuary, schooling, vocational training and outplacement to young women and children in Nairobi. In addition, Bob is a retired Captain with the Canadian Army reserve, a member of the Royal Canadian Armour Corps Association and the Ontario Regiment Officers Mess, and a proud recipient of the Canadian Forces decoration (CD) and the Canadian 125th Anniversary Medal.
Bob has been recognized in Lexpert’s Top 500 Lawyers in Canada, Top 40 under 40 (2004) and as a Finalist, Deal Making, in the Canadian General Counsel Awards (2009) .
Bob is a graduate of Trent University (BA), Osgoode Hall Law School (LL.B and LL.M) and the Canadian Army’s RESO Armour Program. He was called to the Ontario Bar in 1993.