Raj applies a practical business minded approach to advising his clients on their most complex transactions
Raj Juneja is a partner in McCarthy Tétrault’s Business Law Group and a member of the firm’s Tax Group. Based in Toronto, he has more than 18 years’ experience navigating clients through evolving tax environments in foreign and domestic markets. Raj is an advisor that provides creative solutions in a way clients can understand and is one of Canada’s most prominent tax lawyers.
Raj has extensive experience with corporate finance, capital markets, REITs, private equity, hedge funds, derivatives, domestic and cross-border reorganizations and mergers and acquisitions. He brings with him deep industry knowledge and valuable insights into the client perspective having worked as a Chief Financial Officer for a publically traded company with cross-border operations in Canada and the United States. Clients highlight his commitment to client success and pragmatic problem-solving capabilities.
Raj has advised on some of the largest and most complex transactions undertaken in Canada over the past number of years, including:
- Acted for Burger King Worldwide, in connection with its acquisition of Tim Hortons Inc. for approximately US$12.5 billion, the US tax inversion of Burger King under Restaurant Brands International Inc., the related financing, which involved a US$3 billion preferred equity investment from Berkshire Hathaway Inc., a secured US$7.25 billion credit facility and a private placement of US$2.25 billion of second lien secured notes, and an associated tender offer for Tim Hortons' outstanding US$1.2 billion of debt securities.
- Acted for Restaurant Brands International Inc., owner of Burger King and Tim Hortons, in connection with its US$1.8 billion acquisition of Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen Inc.
- Acted for Fortis Inc. in connection with its acquisition of ITC Holdings Corp. for cash and share consideration totaling US$11.3 billion, and Fortis’ related financing transactions.
- Acted for Fortis Inc. in connection with its US$1.2 billion sale of a 19.9% interest in ITC Holdings Corp. to GIC, a sovereign wealth fund of the Government of Singapore.
- Acted for Enercare Inc. in connection with its $4.3 billion sale to Brookfield Infrastructure and its institutional partners.
- Acted for McKesson Corporation in connection with its $3 billion acquisition of Rexall and Rexall Pharma Plus.
- Acted for Stericycle Inc. in connection with its acquisition of Shred-it International for US$2.3 billion in cash.
- Acted for J. Heinz Company in connection with its US$36 billion merger with Kraft Foods Group Inc.
- Acted for Agnico Eagle Mines Limited in connection with its $3.9 billion acquisition with Yamana Gold Inc. of Osisko Mining Corporation and the related a spin-out of a new TSX-listed company called Osisko Gold Royalties Ltd.
- Acted for Toromont Industries Ltd. in connection with its $1 billion acquisition of Hewitt Equipment.
- Acted for HP Inc. in connection with its US$1.05 billion acquisition of the printer business from Samsung Electronics Co Ltd.
- Acted for WIND Mobile Corp. (WIND) and its shareholders, including West Face Capital, in connection with the sale of WIND to Shaw Communications Inc. for $1.6 billion.
Raj has published numerous papers for various publications and conferences, including the Canadian Tax Foundation and the International Fiscal Association. Raj also co-authored the text book Taxation of Corporate Reorganizations (second edition).
Leader in the area of Tax
Chambers Canada (Band 2)
Leader in the area of Tax
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (Most Frequently Recommended)
Corporate Tax (Ontario)
The Tax Directors Handbook
The Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada
The Best Lawyers in Canada
Ranked in the area of Tax Law
Who’s Who Legal