Raj applies a practical business minded approach to advising clients on their most complex transactions
Raj Juneja is a partner in, and the head of, McCarthy Tétrault’s national tax practice. Based in Toronto, he has more than 18 years’ experience navigating clients through evolving tax environments in foreign and domestic markets. Raj is an advisor that provides creative solutions in a way clients can understand and is one of Canada’s most prominent tax lawyers.
Raj has extensive experience with corporate finance, capital markets, REITs, private equity, hedge funds, derivatives, domestic and cross-border reorganizations and mergers and acquisitions. Clients highlight his commitment to client success and pragmatic problem-solving capabilities.
Raj has advised on some of the largest and most complex transactions undertaken in Canada over the past number of years, including:
- Newcrest Mining on its US$460 million acquisition of gold prepay and silver stream facilities and offtake on Lundin Gold's Fruta del Norte gold mine in Ecuador from Orion and Blackstone
- Cineworld Group plc in the C$2.8 billion definitive agreement to acquire Cineplex.
- Cortland Partners, LLC, an Atlanta-based multi-family real estate company, in its US$1.2 billion acquisition of Pure Multi-Family REIT LP.
- GI Partners, a US-based private equity firm, in the acquisition of Insurity, Inc.
- Burger King Worldwide, in connection with its acquisition of Tim Hortons Inc. for approximately US$12.5 billion, the US tax inversion of Burger King under Restaurant Brands International Inc., the related financing, which involved a US$3 billion preferred equity investment from Berkshire Hathaway Inc., a secured US$7.25 billion credit facility and a private placement of US$2.25 billion of second lien secured notes, and an associated tender offer for Tim Hortons' outstanding US$1.2 billion of debt securities.
- Restaurant Brands International Inc., owner of Burger King and Tim Hortons, in connection with its US$1.8 billion acquisition of Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen Inc.
- Fortis Inc. in connection with its acquisition of ITC Holdings Corp. for cash and share consideration totaling US$11.3 billion, and Fortis’ related financing transactions.
- Fortis Inc. in connection with its US$1.2 billion sale of a 19.9% interest in ITC Holdings Corp. to GIC, a sovereign wealth fund of the Government of Singapore.
- Enercare Inc. in connection with its $4.3 billion sale to Brookfield Infrastructure and its institutional partners.
- McKesson Corporation in connection with its $3 billion acquisition of Rexall and Rexall Pharma Plus.
- Stericycle Inc. in connection with its acquisition of Shred-it International for US$2.3 billion in cash.
- J. Heinz Company in connection with its US$36 billion merger with Kraft Foods Group Inc.
- Agnico Eagle Mines Limited in connection with its $3.9 billion acquisition with Yamana Gold Inc. of Osisko Mining Corporation and the related a spin-out of a new TSX-listed company called Osisko Gold Royalties Ltd.
- Toromont Industries Ltd. in connection with its $1 billion acquisition of Hewitt Equipment.
- HP Inc. in connection with its US$1.05 billion acquisition of the printer business from Samsung Electronics Co Ltd.
- WIND Mobile Corp. (WIND) and its shareholders, including West Face Capital, in connection with the sale of WIND to Shaw Communications Inc. for $1.6 billion.
Raj has published numerous papers for various publications and conferences, including the Canadian Tax Foundation and the International Fiscal Association. Raj also co-authored the text book Taxation of Corporate Reorganizations (second edition).
Leading Lawyer: Tax - Canada
Leading Lawyer: Tax
The Legal 500 - Canada
Tax Experts Guide
Chef de file en droit fiscal (Toronto)
Who’s Who Legal
The Best Lawyers in Canada
Ranked in the area of Tax Law
Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Corporate Tax
The Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada
The Tax Directors Handbook
Lexpert Special Edition – Finance and M&A