With unmatched regulatory and environmental experience, Paul provides strategic and value-added advice for clients' projects, transactions and litigation matters
Paul is a partner in our Business Law Group in Vancouver and co-head of our National Environmental, Regulatory & Aboriginal Group. One of the most respected practitioners in the space, his deep industry business knowledge is without comparison. International investors routinely seek his advice on the regulatory environment for doing business in Canada.
Recognized as one of Canada's leading environmental and energy lawyers
Paul is entrenched in corporate and commercial regulatory, litigation, policy and project development across North America. Serving as a senior policy and strategy advisor to high-profile companies nationwide, he is highly sought after for not only his legal but also business counsel in:
- natural resources extraction (mining, forest products and fisheries);
- manufacturing and transportation;
- energy (conventional, upstream, pipelines, LNG and renewable);
- power (generation/transmission);
- marine and terminal shipping; and
- cannabis and agribusiness.
Paul proactively advises on environmental due diligence strategies as well as responses to environmental enforcement actions. Bolstering energy and mining projects through each stage of development, he is seasoned in securing operational permitting, structuring transmission/supply agreements, and preparing for environmental assessments. International LNG project proponents and investors rely on Paul’s knowledge of greenhouse gas rules, emissions standards and carbon taxes in regulation/electricity generation, contaminated site, property acquisition and brownfield development matters. A selection of his experience includes:
- Represented and led several major energy (conventional and renewable) and mining projects in development stage environmental assessments and operational permitting
- Advised major energy companies on environmental due diligence strategies
- Advised major mining, manufacturing, transportation and other companies on responses to environmental enforcement actions
- Provided environmental crisis management advice
- Advised on utility regulation matters/electricity generation, transmission and LNG electricity supply agreements
- Advised on contaminated sites and brownfield development
- Advised on property acquisitions related to LNG siting, including in depth due diligence on potential sites in British Columbia
- Advised project proponents and investors on potential LNG greenhouse gas rules, emissions standards and carbon taxes
Paul has provided evidence on Canadian environmental law in U.S. legal proceedings and served as an independent witness to the Canadian Parliament’s Standing Committee of the House of Commons on the Environment. When environmental disasters strike, he is among the first called by the media, frequently publishing his insights in national newspapers.
Paul is a member of several community, business and professional organizations including as a current member of the Executive Committee of the Board of Governors of the British Columbia Business Council, a past Director of the Society of Contaminated Sites Approved Professionals of British Columbia, and a past co-chair of the Canadian Environmental Law Forum. He has also served as a Director of the Association for Mineral Exploration B.C., the Ontario Forestry Association, and the Nature Conservancy of Canada - B.C. Region.
He is a frequent lecturer at universities in management courses on environmental law and has published several articles on environmental issues. Additionally, he was a founding editor of a book on forestry law in British Columbia.
A certified mediator, Paul is a founding member of the Canadian Centre for Environmental Arbitration and Mediation. Paul received a Certificate in Mediation and Alternative Dispute Resolution from the University of Windsor in 2006 and his JD from Osgoode Hall in 1982.
Band 1: Environment - Canada
Band 1 - Environment (one of only 9 Canadian lawyers to hold this ranking for this area)
The Legal 500 Guide
Leading Lawyer: Environment
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Energy (Electricity); Energy (Oil & Gas); Environmental Law; and Indigenous Law
Lexpert's Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada
Listed in Lexpert's Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada for 22 consecutive years.
Lexpert Guide to US/Canada Cross-Border Lawyers in Canada
Lexpert Special Edition: Canada's Leading Energy Lawyers
Lexpert Special Edition: Canada's Leading Global Mining Lawyers
Lexpert Special Edition: Canada's Leading Agribusiness and Cannabis Lawyers
The Best Lawyers in Canada
A leading lawyer in the areas of Energy Law, Energy Regulatory Law, Environmental Law and Natural Resources Law.
Best Lawyers in Canada
"Lawyer of the Year" in the area of Energy Law (Vancouver)
The Best Lawyers in Canada
"Lawyer of the Year" in the area Environmental Law (Vancouver)
The International Who's Who of Environmental Lawyers
A leading lawyer in the area of environmental law.
Best Lawyers in Canada
Natural Resources Law Lawyer of the Year (Vancouver) - 2021