Patrick Deutscher is an associate in our Business Law Group in Vancouver. He maintains a general corporate and commercial practice, which includes mergers and acquisitions, finance transactions and securities law matters, with a primary focus on the mining sector.
Patrick has experience advising clients on asset and share sales, secured lending transactions, joint ventures and metal streaming transactions. He frequently assists clients with the negotiation of commercial agreements, including in the warehousing and distribution sector. Patrick also acts for issuers on public and private securities offerings and provides general corporate advice to public companies.
Recent representative transactions that Patrick has acted on include:
- Counsel to Newcrest Mining on its US$460 million acquisition of gold prepay and silver stream facilities and offtake on Lundin Gold's Fruta del Norte gold mine in Ecuador from Orion and Blackstone
- Counsel to Goldcorp on its acquisition of a 50% interest in the Cerro Casale project from Kinross Gold Corporation and Barrick Gold Corporation and the formation of a 50/50 joint venture with Barrick over the Cerro Casale, Quebrada Seca and Caspiche projects in Chile’s Maricunga district;
- Counsel to Milpo in its US$250 million silver stream transaction with respect to the Cerro Lindo mine in Peru with Triple Flag Mining;
- Counsel to Goldcorp on the formation of the $3.5billion Corridor joint venture with Teck Resources in relation to their respective El Morro and Relincho projects in Chile, including the concurrent acquisition by Goldcorp of New Gold’s 30% interest in the El Morro project for US$90 million and a 4% gold stream on future gold production;
- Counsel to VersaCold Logistics Services in its $100 million acquisition of Coastal Pacific Xpress;
- Counsel to Taseko Mines as borrower in respect of a US$70 million senior secured credit facility with an affiliate of RK Mine Finance, including copper call options and warrants;
- Counsel to Quintana Resources on separate transactions for their investments in (via metal stream arrangements and/or debt and equity investments) each of Western Pacific Resources, Arian Silver and KBL Mining for combined consideration of over $70 million; and
- Counsel to Northcliff Resources in its C$19 million investment agreement with Todd Minerals with respect to Northcliff’s Sisson tungsten-molybdenum project in New Brunswick, Canada by way of a private placement by Todd in Northcliff and the formation of a limited partnership between the parties.
Patrick received his BSc, with great distinction, from the University of Saskatchewan in 2003 and his JD from the University of British Columbia in 2011. He was called to the British Columbia bar and is a member of the Canadian Bar Association and the Law Society of British Columbia.