Noel Chow is an associate in the firm’s Business Law Group in Toronto. She maintains a general corporate law practice, focussing on banking and secured lending transactions, including acquisition financings, mezzanine financings, syndicated and bilateral financings, project finance and multi-jurisdictional and multi-currency transactions. She regularly represents Canadian and foreign banks and financial institutions as well as borrowers in various business industries.
Noel has also advised both issuers and underwriters in corporate transactions including mergers and acquisitions, private placements and prospectus offerings.
The following are some of the recent transactions in which Noel has advised on:
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, Royal Bank of Canada, Bank of Nova Scotia and The Toronto-Dominion Bank, as co-lead arrangers, in the financing of the acquisition of Northview Apartment Real Estate Investment Trust by Starlight Investments and KingSett Capital, a transaction valued at approximately $4.9 billion. The properties acquired are comprised of a geographically diversified portfolio located within Ontario, British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Quebec, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut. The transaction represents the largest acquisition in the Canadian multi-residential sector in history.
- Novacap, a Canadian private equity firm, in financing its acquisition of a majority interest in Spectrum Health Care
- CCMP Capital Advisors, LP, a U.S. private equity firm, in financing its acquisition of BGIS from Brookfield Business Partners for approximately US$1 billion
- Credit Suisse AG, a Switzerland-based multinational investment bank, in the US$1.48 billion financing to Searchlight Capital Partners, L.P. in connection with its acquisition of Mitel Networks Corporation
- An investor consortium comprised of ANTA Sports Limited, FountainVest Partners, Tencent Holdings Limited and Anamered Investments Inc., in its acquisition of substantially all of the outstanding securities of Amer Sports Corporation for approximately US$5 billion
- Brookfield Asset Management in the C$4.3 billion acquisition of Enercare Inc. by Brookfield Infrastructure Partners
- InstarAGF Asset Management Inc. in the acquisition of Skyservice Investments Inc., through the InstarAGF Essential Infrastructure Fund
- An American multinational bank, as agent, in its establishment of asset-based credit facilities for a natural and organic foods distributor
- A leading Canadian bank, as senior lender, in the establishment of senior and subordinate credit facilities for a construction and engineering company
- A major American bank in the establishment of syndicated secured credit facilities for a group of U.S. and Canadian power generation and manufacturing companies
- A prominent American bank in the establishment of syndicated secured credit facilities for a specialty medical device manufacturer and distributor
- An American private investment firm in the acquisition financing of a group of agricultural products suppliers
- An American private equity firm, as lender, in the establishment of a syndicated secured revolving credit facility for a fitness facilities operator
Noel received her JD from the Faculty of Law at Queen’s University.
Noel balances her legal expertise with her high business acumen and leverages her business background and prior industry experience when advising clients. She holds a Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) from the Smith School of Business at Queen’s University and has completed financial management courses at Singapore Management University.
She has gained industry experience as an Associate with TD Commercial Banking, where she was involved in structuring, underwriting and performing ongoing portfolio management on corporate borrowers.
Noel has completed a secondment to the legal department of Manulife Financial, where she assisted with drafting and negotiating commercial agreements, reviewing prospectus disclosure documents and providing legal support and solutions to business units.
Noel is a Faculty Member of Osgoode Hall Law School’s Professional Development program and regularly presents in the Annual Perfect Your PPSA Skills course. She is also a frequent panelist on seminars offered to financial institutions on a variety of lending principles and market trends.
She is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, Canadian Bar Association and Ontario Bar Association.