Marissa Caldwell is an associate in the Toronto office practicing in the Business Law Group, the Technology Industry Group, the Intellectual Property Group, the Retail and Consumer Markets Groups and the Cybersecurity, Privacy and Data Protection Group.
Marissa maintains a corporate and commercial practice and advises clients in a broad range of sectors on strategies and issues relating to technology commercialization, intellectual property, consumer products, consumer protection, e-commerce, data privacy, anti-spam, broadcasting, and marketing and advertising.
As a registered trademark agent, Marissa has helped to obtain trademark protection for clients in a wide range of industries. Marissa also advises clients on the protection and enforcement of their trademark rights.
While in law school, Marissa was a program manager at Sport Solution, a legal clinic that assists Canada's Olympic and National Team athletes navigate legal issues such as team selection, funding, doping, and athlete-National Sport Organization (NSO) contract disputes.
Prior to law school, Marissa worked in documentary film production, television production, and founded a production company specializing in corporate and web-based video.
Marissa obtained her BA (with Honours) in Radio and Television Arts, with a minor concentration in English from Ryerson University in 2009. She received her JD from Western Law in 2016.
Marissa was called to the Ontario Bar in 2017. She is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada.
Recent relevant experience includes:
- Acting for a Canadian bank with respect to a major IT systems outsourcing;
- Acting for various clients with respect to the negotiation of IT-related service agreements, including for cloud, systems integration and application management services;
- Acting for various technology companies with respect to the development of their consumer-facing agreements and policies;
- Advising on the IP, privacy, and product regulatory elements of the purchase and sale of numerous private businesses.
- Advising an international e-commerce platform on compliance with Canadian laws related to the sale of consumer products, consumer protection, product safety, product packaging and labelling, and marketing and advertising (including CASL compliance).
- Advising multiple automotive sector clients on IP, regulatory, and privacy issues, including in-car communications systems and vehicle telematics.
- Advising numerous clients on compliance and best practices related to provincial and federal privacy legislation and the GDPR.
- Counsel to Stingray Digital Group Inc. in its acquisition of Newfoundland Capital Corporation.
- Advising clients in various industries on the registrability of trade-marks, filing and prosecuting applications to register trade-marks, and assisting in trade-mark opposition and expungement proceedings.