Jonathan Bitran is an associate in our Business Law Group in Toronto with a focus on competition/antitrust, foreign investment review and communications law.
A significant portion of his practice consists of acting for clients seeking competition/antitrust and foreign investment review clearances for mergers and acquisitions. He also advises clients regarding compliance with the Competition Act and Investment Canada Act, and acts for clients in litigation relating to the Competition Act.
Jonathan also acts for clients on a variety of communications law topics, such as telecommunications, broadcasting, and spectrum management.
Jonathan is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association, the Ontario Bar Association and the American Bar Association. He is also Chair of the Economics and Law Committee of the National Competition Law Section of the Canadian Bar Association.
Jonathan received his B.Sc. (Hons.) in Medical Science from the University of Western Ontario in 2007. He received his JD/MBA from the University of Toronto in 2011. While at the University of Toronto, Jonathan was an active member of the JD/MBA Students’ Association. In 2010, he completed an exchange at the University of Hong Kong.
- acting for Dow Chemical in its merger with DuPont
- acting for Enbridge in its acquisition of Spectra Energy
- acting for Kraft in its merger with Heinz
- acting for Molson Coors in its acquisition of the Miller brands
- acting for Lafarge in its merger with Holcim
- acting for Sun Life in its acquisition of Bentall Kennedy
- acting for Leon's in its acquisition of The Brick
- acting for Agrium in its acquisition of the Viterra assets
- acting for Slate Office REIT in its $430 million acquisition of commercial real estate properties from Fortis
- acting for Emco in its acquisition of Noble