Disponible en Anglais seulement
Heba Al-Shakarchi is counsel in our Financial Services group in Toronto. Her practice is focused on lending and secured financing transactions, with an emphasis on the project finance, power and infrastructure sectors. She regularly represents Canadian and foreign sponsors, borrowers, project companies, commercial banks and non-bank lenders on a range of domestic and international financing transactions.
Heba’s recent experience includes:
- acting for the lenders in connection with the approximately C$120 million refinancing of non-recourse credit facilities in respect of four Ontario wind power projects
- acting for the lender syndicate in connection with a C$500 million credit facility for the financing of a leading Ontario power producer’s Colombian regulated distribution utility
- acting for the bondholders on a C$1.08 billion private placement offering in respect of the acquisition of an interest in three hydro-electric facilities in northern British Columbia
- acting for an international syndicate of lenders on the refinancing of non-recourse credit facilities in respect of two Ontario ground-mount solar farm projects
- acting for the bondholders on an approximately C$260 million private placement offering in respect of three wind power projects in New Brunswick
- acting for a leading Canadian bank in providing net asset value based credit facilities to Canadian and Luxembourg based private equity funds
- acting for a leading US-based technology manufacturer in the establishment of corporate credit facilities for its Canadian subsidiary
Heba is a frequent panelist and presenter on lending and market trends of interest to major lenders and financial institutions. She is a board member of Banking Together, a Toronto-based industry group dedicated to promoting leadership and cooperation among lawyers and professionals identifying as women or non-binary in the banking and financial services space. Heba also sits on the steering committee of McCarthy Tétrault’s Toronto Parenthood Group.
Heba received a Masters of Laws from Harvard Law School and a Bachelor of Laws (with Honours) from University College London. She qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales in 2012, and was called to the Ontario bar in 2017.
Prior to joining McCarthy Tétrault, Heba worked as an associate in the UK and Middle East offices of a leading international law firm where, among other matters, she advised both sponsor and lender-side parties on a number of record-breaking international project financings.
She is a member of the Law Society of England and Wales, the Law Society of Ontario, the Ontario Bar Association and the Canadian Bar Association.