Ekaterina (Katya) Popoff is a senior associate in the Toronto Business Law & Financial Services Groups with a knack for closing complex deals, including UK and European prospectus platform establishments, global debt issuances and U.S. cross-border securitizations, with an efficient and client-focused approach. Her focus on capital markets, structured finance and securitization puts her on some of the firm’s most complex matters and alongside its most high profile clients where her practical solutions and business acumen deliver results ahead of time.
With a practice serving the financial services sector, Katya has quickly developed expertise in capital markets and structured finance transactions, covering a variety of asset classes, as well as the establishment of covered bond programs and cross-border transactions. She works closely with our senior Capital Markets and Structured Finance Lawyers as the key senior associate assisting Canada’s biggest banks, issuers and dealers.
The following market leading transactions are examples of the breadth and depth of Katya’s recent experience where she is the senior associate responsible for the transactions:
- The Toronto-Dominion Bank, as issuer, under its CAD 80 billion Global Legislative Programme and its issuances in the UK, Europe, Australia, U.S. and Canada, including the A$1.25B Series CBL33 issuance.
- Ford Auto Securitization Trust, as issuer, in the C$742.5 million private placement of Asset-Backed Notes, Series 2020-A
- Canadian Tire Bank in Glacier Credit Card Trust's public offering of C$546 million principal amount of 3.138% Credit Card Asset-Backed Senior Notes, Series 2018-1 and C$37.9 million principal amount of 4.138% Credit Card Asset-Backed Subordinated Notes, Series 2018-1
- Royal Bank of Canada, the administrative agent and issuer, in Golden Credit Card Trust’s offering of US$525 million receivables-backed Class A Notes, Series 2017-4, C$31.9 million Class B Notes, Series 2017-4, and C$14.2 million Class C Notes, Series 2017-4
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce and CARDS II Trust in the Series 2019-1 US$600 million Class A Notes, $41.5 million Class B Notes and C$21.8 million Class C Notes issuance of several of credit card-backed notes in U.S. and Canada
- BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc., as lead dealer, in the US$476 million offering of Credit Card Receivables Backed Notes, Series 2019-1 by Master Credit Card Trust II
- HSBC Bank Canada, as issuer, on the establishment of its Global Legislative Programme and UK prospectus platform and all of its issuances to date with the most recent being, Series CBL4 US$1.0 billion issuance in the U.S.
Before joining McCarthy Tétrault, Katya founded a specialty tea producer and wholesaler that sold into the Canadian, U.S. and international markets. Under her leadership, the business won numerous awards for taste, packaging design and marketing. In the same vein of that entrepreneurial mindset, Katya also founded and ran a professional services company, providing EDGAR filing and web marketing services to publicly traded companies in the U.S.
Katya received her JD and an Honors Bachelor of Arts with a gold medal in History from the University of Toronto. She was called to the Ontario bar in 2018 and is a member of the Law Society of Ontario, the Canadian Bar Association, the Ontario Bar Association, and the American Bar Association.