Donovan Plomp* is a partner in our Labour & Employment group in Vancouver. He has appeared as counsel in matters before all levels of court in British Columbia, as well as before the British Columbia Labour Relations Board, the Canada Industrial Relations Board, the British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal and grievance arbitration panels. He also has extensive experience drafting employment contracts restrictive covenant agreements, and other employment related documents, as well as advising on a wide variety of workplace issues including privacy, disability, and the application and interpretation of collective agreements.
Donovan's representative experience includes:
- representing employers in employment related litigation, including wrongful dismissal, human rights, privacy, and departing employee matters;
- representing unionized employers in grievance arbitration and labour relations board proceedings, including discharge, discipline, interpretation of collective agreements, unlawful strike and unfair labour practice complaints;
- advising employers regarding union organizing campaigns and certification and decertification applications;
- advising employers on a wide variety of human resources and labour relations issues, including employee disability and accommodation, attendance management, privacy, human rights and employment policies, and terminations; and
- advising on labour and employment issues in corporate mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations.
Donovan publishes and presents extensively on labour, employment and human rights legal issues, including for the Canadian Bar Association, the Association of Corporate Counsel, the Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia, and the Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers, on topics including legal issues in workplace investigations, the duty to accommodate, defending human rights complaints, best practices in terminating employment, aggravated and punitive damages and workplace privacy.
Donovan received a BA (Hons) from the University of Ottawa in 1997, and his LLB from the University of British Columbia in 2000. After graduating from law school, he served as a judicial law clerk with the Supreme Court of British Columbia. He was called to the British Columbia bar.
Donovan is a member of the Canadian Bar Association and the British Columbia Human Resources Management Association. He has served as an executive member and Chair of the BC Employment Law section of the Canadian Bar Association and as an executive member of the National Labour and Employment Section of the Canadian Bar Association.
Donovan currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Children’s Foundation.
* denotes Law Corporation
A leading lawyer in the area of labour & employment.
The Best Lawyers in Canada
A leading lawyer in the area of labour and employment law, and has appeared in this directory consecutively since 2015.
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
A leading lawyer in the area of Workplace Human Rights.