Disponible en Anglais seulement
Results-oriented and widely recognized for her expertise in competition and foreign investment law, Debbie has the experience clients need to successfully navigate the regulatory landscape.
Deborah (Debbie) Salzberger is a Partner in our Antitrust/Competition & Foreign Investment Group in Toronto.
She is consistently ranked in Chambers Global, Chambers Canada, Global Competition Review, Who's Who Legal and The Legal 500, among many others. Named by Global Competition Review on its international list of Women in Antitrust (2021) and a Global Elite Thought Leader, Debbie is widely recognized as one of a small group of leading competition lawyers, economists, academics and enforcers who define the highest professional and service standards in the sector.
Debbie acts for clients in domestic and multinational mergers and acquisitions with respect to competition/antitrust law and foreign investment review matters. She also regularly provides competition law compliance advice regarding criminal cartel matters and reviewable practices, including joint ventures, resale pricing, advertising and distribution issues.
Debbie’s practice is marked by her pragmatic, solutions oriented approach. Her deep knowledge of the Canadian competition/antitrust and foreign investment regimes is complemented by her experience across numerous industries, making her a valued business advisor. Debbie is lauded as a "superb lawyer" by one source to Chamber Canada, who adds: "I especially value her common sense, practical approach to dealing with clients and regulators." Some of the transactions in which she has been involved, include:
- Aon plc, a UK-based global professional services firm, as Canadian counsel in its now terminated US$30 billion proposed acquisition of Willis Towers Watson
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in its acquisition and combination of Fort Dearborn and Multi-Color Corporation
- The Middleby Corporation in its proposed acquisition of Welbilt, Inc. for US$4.3 billion
- NCR Corporation in its acquisition of Cardtronics for US$2.5 billion
- Baxter International Inc. in its US$12.5 billion acquisition of Hillrom
- Capco in its US$1.45 billion acquisition by Wipro
- Cineworld Group plc in its C$2.8 billion proposed acquisition of Cineplex Inc.
- Mondelez International in its acquisition of a significant majority interest in Give & Go
- AbbVie Inc. in its US$63 billion acquisition of Allergan plc
- First Data on its US$22 billion acquisition by Fiserv
- L3 Technologies in its US$33.5 billion merger with Harris Corporation
- Shire plc on its US$62 billion acquisition by Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited
- CCCC International Holding Limited on its $1.51 billion proposed acquisition of Aecon Group Inc.
- Brand Energy & Infrastructure in its merger with Safway Group Holding LLC
- Bass Pro Shops in its merger with Cabelas
Deeply connected to the Competition/Antitrust and Foreign Investment Bar
Debbie actively participates in thought leadership and industry groups, both in Canada and internationally. She is the past chair of the Canadian Bar Association Competition Law Section's Foreign Investment Review Committee and the co-chair of the American Bar Association’s Insurance and Financial Services Committee.
She is a frequent contributor to antitrust conferences and publications, including:
- Co-author: Canada Chapter, Guide to Foreign Direct Investment, GCR Insight, (1st Ed. (2022))
- Co-author: Canada Chapter, Merger Remedies Guide, GCR Insight, (1st Ed. (2018) and 2nd Ed. (2019)).
- Speaker: Canada’s Foreign Investment and National Security Regimes in Today’s Geopolitical Climate, July 2021.
- Speaker: Lessons from the COVID-19 Era, June 2021.
- Speaker: Private Equity Outlook Webinar, February 2021.
- Speaker: Distressed M&A in Canada – Key Issues and Opportunities, June 2020.
- Speaker: Resale Price Maintenance: Current State of Play in North America and Europe, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, Federal Civil Enforcement Telephonic Committee Program, June 26, 2019.
- Speaker: Competition Law and Policy in Emerging Industries, CBA Competition Law Fall Conference, September 28, 2018.
- Moderator: Distinctions with Differences: Canvassing Cross-Jurisdictional Ethics Rules, 66th ABA Section of Antitrust Law Spring Meeting, April 11, 2018.
- Co-author: Canada Chapter, The International Comparative Legal Guide to Merger Control, Global Legal Group, (12th, 13th and 14th Edition, 2016, 2017, 2018).
- Speaker: Small Mergers, Big Issues, GCR Live 7th Annual Antitrust Law Leaders Forum, February 3, 2018.
Called to the Ontario Bar in 2002, Debbie received her LLB from the University of Toronto in 2000, an MA in International Relations from University of Toronto in 2000 and her BES (Summa Cum Laude, Environmental Studies and Economics) from York University in 1997.
Prix et distinctions
Leading Lawyer: Competition/Antitrust - Canada
Leading Lawyer: Competition/Antitrust
Global Competition Review
Women in Antitrust
Who's Who Legal: Thought Leaders – Global Elite
Who's Who Legal – Global Leader
Recommended: Foreign Investment Review
Who's Who Legal
Leading Lawyer: Competition and M&A Governance - Foreign Investment Review
Who's Who Legal
Thought Leader: Competition
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Competition Law
Women in Business Law - Competition and Antitrust
The Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading Lawyer: Competition/Antitrust Law