Results-oriented and widely recognized for her expertise in competition and foreign investment law, Debbie has the experience clients need to successfully navigate the regulatory landscape.
Deborah (Debbie) Salzberger is a Partner in our Antitrust/Competition & Foreign Investment Group in Toronto. She acts for clients in domestic and multinational mergers and acquisitions with respect to competition/antitrust law and foreign investment review matters. She also regularly provides competition law compliance advice in respect of criminal cartel matters and reviewable practices, including joint ventures, resale pricing, advertising and distribution issues.
Widely recognized in Canada and abroad for her experience working on complex domestic and multijurisdictional transactions, Debbie’s practice is marked by her pragmatic and solutions oriented approach, working with clients to achieve their objectives. Debbie has been recognized by Chambers Canada and is lauded as a "superb lawyer" by one source, who adds: "I especially value her common sense, practical approach to dealing with clients and regulators." Some of the transactions in which she has been involved, include:
- Cineworld Group plc on its C$2.8 billion proposed acquisition of Cineplex Inc.
- Mondelez International in its agreement to acquire a significant majority interest in Give & Go
- AbbVie Inc. in its US$63 billion acquisition of Allergan plc
- First Data on its US$22 billion acquisition by Fiserv
- L3 Technologies in its US$33.5 billion merger with Harris Corporation
- Shire plc on its US$62 billion acquisition by Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited
- CCCC International Holding Limited on its $1.51 billion proposed acquisition of Aecon Group Inc.
- Brand Energy & Infrastructure in its merger with Safway Group Holding LLC
- Bass Pro Shops in its proposed merger with Cabelas
- Foster Wheeler AG on its US$3.2-billion acquisition by AMEC
- Continental AG in its proposed US$1.9-billion acquisition of Veyance Technologies Inc.
- The Brick Ltd. on its sale to Leon's Furniture Limited for C$700-million
Deeply connected to the Competition/Antitrust and Foreign Investment Bar
Debbie actively participates in thought leadership and industry groups, both in Canada and internationally. She is the current chair of the Canadian Bar Association Competition Law Section's Foreign Investment Review Committee and the co-chair of the American Bar Association’s Insurance and Financial Services Committee. Debbie is editor of the "International Price Discrimination" chapter of the ABA Price Discrimination Handbook.
She is a frequent contributor to antitrust conferences and publications, including:
- Co-author: Canada Chapter, Merger Remedies Guide, GCR Insight, (1st Ed. (2018) and 2nd Ed. (2019)).
- Speaker: Competition Law and Policy in Emerging Industries, CBA Competition Law Fall Conference, September 28, 2018.
- Moderator: Distinctions with Differences: Canvassing Cross-Jurisdictional Ethics Rules, 66th ABA Section of Antitrust Law Spring Meeting, April 11, 2018.
- Co-author: Canada Chapter, The International Comparative Legal Guide to Merger Control, Global Legal Group, (12th, 13th and 14th Edition, 2016, 2017, 2018).
- Speaker: Small Mergers, Big Issues, GCR Live 7th Annual Antitrust Law Leaders Forum, February 3, 2018.
- Speaker: Vertical Mergers – Views across the Border, CBA Competition Law Fall Conference, October 26, 2017.
- Speaker: Merger Due Diligence - Cross Border Compliance Considerations, ABA Section of Antitrust Law - Teleconference, January 27, 2016.
- Co-author: The Seven Sins of E-Discovery: Salvations for Merger Review, Ontario Bar Association, Ontario e-Discovery Institute, 2015.
- Moderator: Attorney Client Privilege - A Multijurisdictional Review of Recent Developments, CBA Competition Law Section's International Committee and Competition Litigation Committee, ABA Section of Antitrust Law - Teleconference, November 23, 2015.
- Speaker: Ontario e-Discovery Institute 2015, OBA Conference, Toronto, Ontario, October 29, 2015.
- Speaker: Resale Price Maintenance: Current State of Play in North America and Europe, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, Federal Civil Enforcement Telephonic Committee Program, June 26, 2019.
Called to the Ontario Bar in 2002, Debbie received her LLB from the University of Toronto in 2000, an MA in International Relations from University of Toronto in 2000 and her BES (Summa Cum Laude, Environmental Studies and Economics) from York University in 1997.
Leading Lawyer: Competition/Antitrust - Canada
Leading Lawyer: Competition/Antitrust
The Legal 500 - Canada
Leading Lawyer: Competition and Antitrust
Who's Who Legal – Global Leader
Recommended: Foreign Investment Review
Who's Who Legal
Leading Lawyer: Competition and M&A Governance - Foreign Investment Review
Who's Who Legal
Thought Leader: Competition
Women in Business Law - Competition and Antitrust
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Competition Law
The Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading Lawyer: Competition/Antitrust Law