Disponible en anglais seulement
Alexander Steele is an associate in the firm’s Labour & Employment Group in Toronto and the national Environmental, Regulatory, and Aboriginal Group. His practice focuses on environmental, occupational health & safety, and regulatory law.
He represents clients in broad range of industries, including energy, natural resources, transportation, retail, agriculture, and manufacturing sectors.
Alexander has appeared before a number of courts and administrative tribunals, including the Ontario Court of Justice, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Commercial List, and the Ontario Land Tribunal.
Alexander advises clients on compliance with environmental and occupational health and safety regulatory legislation. He regularly assists clients with managing regulatory inspections, investigations, prosecutions, orders, and appeals of environmental, occupational health & safety, and other regulatory offences. Alexander’s experience includes proceedings under the Fisheries Act (Canada), the Environmental Protection Act (Ontario), the Ontario Water Resources Act, the Occupational Health & Safety Act, the Canada Labour Code, the Mining Act, the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, the Health Protection and Promotion Act, the Building Code Act, the Technical Standards & Safety Act, municipal by-laws, and other regulatory regimes.
Alexander’s practice also includes providing proactive advice to identify gaps in clients’ operations and policies/procedures with the goal of ensuring compliance with regulatory regimes governing their businesses.
Alexander also advises proponents of transportation, energy, agriculture, real property development, and natural resources projects in relation to project approvals, environmental permitting, and aboriginal consultation.
Alexander’s recent experience includes:
- A major food processing operation charged under the Environmental Protection Act.
- A major marine logistics company charged under the Fisheries Act.
- A multinational mining company charged under the Occupational Health and Safety Act in relation to a workplace fatality.
- Individual and institutional clients charged under the Fire Protection and Prevention Act.
- Representing residential developers and institutional landowners in development and planning approval proceedings at the Ontario Land Tribunal and Committees of Adjustment
- Advising a major retailers on compliance with designer registration requirements under the Ontario Building Code.
- Advising a mining proponent on environmental permitting and aboriginal consultation risk with respect to a proposed mining project acquisition in Northern Ontario. .
- Completing a review of the environmental stakeholder management strategy for a multinational mining company in Ontario.
- Representing institutional landowners in expropriation negotiations and disputes with municipal and provincial regulatory authorities across Ontario.
Alexander received his JD from the Faculty of Law at Queen’s University in 2017. Prior to studying law, Alexander obtained his Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science (Honours) from Queen’s University, and worked as a geophysical analyst for an oil and gas company in Calgary, Alberta. Alexander completed the Certificate in Provincial Offences Court Practice at Osgoode Hall Law School, York University in 2019.
Alexander was called to the Ontario Bar in 2018. He sits on the executive of the Ontario Bar Association’s Natural Resources & Energy Law and Environmental Law sections, and its Young Leaders Division. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, Canadian Bar Association, and the Ontario Bar Association.
Best Lawyers in Canada
Ones to Watch: Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law
Best Lawyers in Canada
Ones to Watch: Corporate and Commercial Litigation