With expertise in the industries that matter most to the global business landscape, we have the proven experience to get deals done.
McCarthy Tétrault’s national Mergers & Acquisitions team brings the right combination of seasoned expertise and youthful energy to our clients’ most sophisticated and important matters. Our industry-specific approach, local depth and global experience ensures we deliver successful results.
Why Clients Choose Us
Significant experience advising a wide range of transaction participants, from emerging companies to global conglomerates, in large and mid-market transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures and partnerships.
We are pioneers in the legal industry for our focus on developing industry-specific expertise amongst our lawyers, concentrating on industries that have strategic alignment with key sectors in the Canadian economy.
- Distressed Assets
- Energy Transition
- Life Sciences
- Oil & Gas
- Private Equity
- Real Estate
- Real Assets
- Retail and Consumer Products
Trusted Advice On Complex Issues
Often the first call for domestic and cross-border transactions that involve complex or novel issues. We specialize in advising clients on the largest and most innovative domestic and international deals, including special situations and corporate governance matters.
Borderless service from our offices across Canada’s major commercial centres and in New York and London. We routinely work closely and in concert with leading law firms in the U.S. and overseas.
Strategic And Practical
Commercial-minded, practical advice and deal-making with a relentless focus on managing risk, delivering value and getting the right deal done.
As entrepreneurial thinkers and business people ourselves, we understand our clients’ businesses and we focus on their transaction objectives.
Select Recent Experience
Rio Tinto Group
Acquisition of Turquoise Hill Resources
(2023 M&A Deal of the Year, Canadian Law Awards)
Newcrest Mining Limited
Acquisition by Newmont Corporation
Acquisition of TSX-listed Teranga Gold
Brookfield Infrastructure Partners L.P.
Privatization of Inter Pipeline Ltd.
(2022 M&A Deal of the Year, Canadian Law Awards)
Acquisition of Spectra Energy Corp. to create the largest energy infrastructure company in North America
Pipestone Energy Corp.
Acquisition by Strathcona Resources
Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec
Acquisition of the majority interest in Énergir Inc.
Acquisition by NRG Energy, Inc.
(North America Conventional Power & Grid Infrastructure Acquisition of the Year, IJInvestor)
In their partnership with Brookfield Renewable to acquire Westinghouse Electric Company
Summit Industrial Income REIT
Acquisition by JV between Dream Industrial REIT and GI
Purchase of 300 industrial properties as part of the takeover bid of Comiar REIT
Slate Asset Management L.P.
Acquisition of the Commercial Real Estate Business of Annaly Capital Management
Ritchie Bros. Inc.
Acquisition of IAA Inc.
Acquisition of Atrium Innovations Inc. (US$2.3B) and strategic alliance with Starbucks (US$7.15B)
Acquisition of Chantecaille Beaute Inc.
Approx. C$4 billion
Acquisitions of Manitoba Telecom Services Inc. (C$3.9B), AlarmForce Industries Inc. (C$182M) and Axia NetMedia Corporation (Undisclosed)
Constellation Software Inc.
in the spin-out of Lumine Group Inc. into a separate public company, and related acquisition by Lumine Group Inc. of US-based vertical market software provider, WideOrbit Inc.
Score Media and Gaming Inc. (“theScore”)
Acquisition by Penn National Gaming, Inc.
InstarAGF Asset Management, Partners Group and Kilmer Van Nostrand Co. Limited
Sale of Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport’s passenger terminal to JP Morgan Asset Management
Brookfield Infrastructure Partners and GIC
Acquisition of Genesee & Wyoming Inc.
Mubadala Capital, ParkJockey and Softbank
Acquisition of Impark from a subsidiary of Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board
Brookfield Asset Management
Acquisition of HomeServe PLC
Blackstone Group and Benettons
Buyout offer for Atlantia
Acquisition of all the issued and outstanding units of HydroSolution L.P. and HydroSolution Ltd.
No matter the size, complexity or scope, no other Canadian firm offers the same depth of expertise:
- Four20 in its C$110 million acquisition by Tilray Inc.
- CSX Transportation in the sale of its Massena rail line to The Canadian National Railway Company
- Stifel Financial Corp. in its C$70 million acquisition of substantially all of the capital markets business of GMP Capital
- Sunniva Inc. in the C$20 million sale of Sunniva Medical Inc., including the Sunniva Canada Campus, to CannaPharmaRx
- Rayonier Advanced Materials Inc. in the sale of its pulp mill in Matane, Quebec to Sappi Limited for US$175 million
- BioSteel Sports Nutrition Inc. in its sale of a majority stake to Canopy Growth Corporation
- Gestion MAC s.e.n.c. in the sale of a 55% stake in its operating businesses to Groupe BMR
- Novacap in its acquisition of the business of Spectrum Health Care
- Calibre Mining Corp. in its US$100 million acquisition of mining assets in Nicaragua from B2Gold Corp. and strategic partnership with B2Gold
- Xilinx, a US-based technology developer, in its acquisition of NGCodec
- Sinomine (Hong Kong) Rare Metals Resources Co. Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of China-based Sinomine Resource Group Co., Ltd., in Cabot Corporation's sale of its Specialty Fluids business for US$135M
- Connor, Clark & Lunn Infrastructure in its acquisition of a majority interest in Bremner Trio Hydro Corp. and the completion of their C$197 million debt financing for the construction of two run-of-river hydroelectric projects
- Mikes Restaurants Corporation in the C$43.2 million sale of its trademarks and certain other intellectual property rights to Diversified Royalty Corporation
- Summit Industrial Income REIT in the C$95 million acquisition of its external manager, Sigma Asset Management Limited to internalize its asset and property management functions
- Echelon Financial Holdings in its C$166 million sale of Echelon Insurance to CAA Club Group
- The special committee of Great Panther Silver Limited in its US$105 million acquisition of Beadell Resources Limited, an Australia-based gold producer
- Alliance Designer Products, Inc. in its acquisition by Wynnchurch Capital, LLC., American private equity firm
- Barcodes Group, a US-based provider of information technology solutions, in the acquisition of QSG through its subsidiary, OCR Canada Ltd.
- Resurgent Holdings LLC in its sale of Resurgent Holdings Canada Inc. to PRA Group, Inc.
- Audiokinetic Inc. in its acquisition by Sony Interactive Entertainment
- George Melville in the sale of his 50% interest in Boston Pizza International
- Carmanah Technologies Corporation in its acquisition of Vega Industries Limited
Chambers & Partners
Band 1 in Corporate and M&A
Chambers & Partners
Band 1 Corporate/Commercial: The Elite (British Columbia, Ontario, Québec)
Tier 1 in Corporate and M&A
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Recognized as a Most Frequently Recommended firm for M&A
Consistently recognized as a leading firm in M&A
Canadian Law Awards
M&A Deal of the Year for third consecutive year (2021, 2022 & 2023)
Refinitiv, Mergermarket and Financial Post
Consistently ranked as a top firm by both value and deal count in league tables
Cross-Border M&A: Top 10 Considerations for U.S. Acquirers of Canadian Targets
Our market-leading M&A Group highlights the core issues, key considerations, pitfalls and opportunities for U.S. businesses and investors contemplating the acquisition of a Canadian target.
Canadian Going Private Transactions
Understand the steps necessary to take a public company private from some of Canada’s leading transactional lawyers.
An overview of some of the principal Canadian corporate and securities law considerations that apply to special committees, with an emphasis on special committees appointed in connection with M&A transactions.
The Mergers & Acquisitions Review, Sixteenth Edition – Canada chapter
The Canada chapter of the sixteenth edition of The Mergers & Acquisitions Review provides a practical overview of recent M&A activity and the legal and regulatory frameworks governing M&A transactions. Focusing on recent developments and emerging trends, this helpful publication examines key issues that can affect business, including relevant competition law considerations, foreign involvement, and more.