With expertise in the industries that matter most to the global business landscape, we have the proven experience to get deals done.
As entrepreneurial thinkers, clients benefit from our history of industry-focussed advice and perspective. No matter the size, complexity or scope, McCarthy Tétrault has a leading position advising on the transactions most important to your business, such as mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures and partnerships in a wide range of industries, including:
- Distressed Assets
- Life Sciences
- Oil & Gas
- Real Estate
- Retail and Consumer Products
Our Mergers & Acquisitions Group specializes in advising clients on the largest and most innovative domestic and international deals. We have knowledge and expertise in every type of M&A transaction and we have played a principal role acting for every type of transaction participant.
McCarthy Tétrault’s national team comprises some of the most talented transactional lawyers in Canada—a team that brings the right combination of seasoned expertise and youthful energy to our clients’ most sophisticated and important deals and projects.
Members of our corporate Mergers & Acquisitions team have advised on the following transactions:
- Harbin Pharmaceutical Group Holding Co. Ltd., an affiliate of CITIC Capital (China), in its US$760 million bid to acquire GNC Holdings Inc.
- Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec in its agreement with Alstom to convert its current investment in Bombardier Transportation into shares of Alstom, following the US$8.2 billion acquisition of Bombardier Transportation by Alstom
- Cineworld Group plc in its proposed acquisition of Cineplex for C$2.8 billion
- Great Pacific Capital Corp. in its C$1 billion arrangement agreement to acquire all issued and outstanding shares of Canfor Corporation
- TD Greystone Asset Management in its acquisition as part of a consortium of JLIF Holdings (Project Service) U.S. Inc.
- Brookfield Infrastructure Partners and GIC in its US$8.4 billion acquisition of Genesee & Wyoming Inc.
- TD Greystone Asset Management in its C$1.7 billion agreement to acquire up to 100% of Alberta PowerLine from Canadian Utilities Limited and Quanta Services Inc.
- Newcrest Mining in its US$804 million acquisition of 70% joint venture interest in the Red Chris copper and gold mine in British Columbia from Imperial Metals
- Cortland Partners, LLC in its US$1.2 billion acquisition of Pure Multi-Family REIT LP.
- Maple Red Financial Management Canada in its sale of the Bentall Centre Complex in Vancouver to Blackstone Property Partners
- Mubadala Capital, Parkjockey and Softbank in its acquisition of Impark from a subsidiary of Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board
- INSTARAGF Asset Management, Partners Group, and Kilmer Van Nostrand co. Ltd. in the sale of Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport's passenger terminal to JP Morgan Asset Management
- Canadian Imperial Bank Of Commerce in the C$497 million acquisition of Aeroplan rewards program by Air Canada from Aimia Inc.
- Hyperwallet System Inc. in its US$400 million acquisition by PayPal Holdings Inc.
- Greenhill & Co. Canada LTD. in its C$5 billion investment in Canopy Growth Corporation
- Brookfield Asset Management in its C$4.3 billion acquisition of Enercare Inc. by Brookfield Infrastructure Partners
- EllisDon Capital in its establishment of a joint venture with Fiera Infrastructure in respect of certain EllisDon infrastructure projects in Canada
- BCE INC. in its approx. C$4 billion acquisitions of Manitoba Telecom Services Inc. (C$3.9B), AlarmForce Industries Inc. (C$182M) and Axia NetMedia Corporation (Undisclosed)
- Nestlé S.A. in its US$9.45 billion acquisition of Atrium Innovations Inc. (US$2.3B) and strategic alliance with Starbucks (US$7.15B)
- Nextera Energy Partners, LP in its US$1.27 billion sale of wind and solar generation assets to Canada Pension Plan Investment Board
- Slate Asset Management P. in its C$1.14 billion acquisition of a portfolio of properties from Cominar REIT
- Rhône Capital in its US$500 million equity investment in HBC
- Parkland Fuel Corp. in its C$1.5 billion acquisition of Chevron Canada’s Downstream Fuel Business
With extensive experience and knowledge across various industries, no other Canadian firm offers the same depth of expertise:
- Four20 in its C$110 million acquisition by Tilray Inc.
- CSX Transportation in the sale of its Massena rail line to The Canadian National Railway Company
- Stifel Financial Corp. in its C$70 million acquisition of substantially all of the capital markets business of GMP Capital
- Sunniva Inc. in the C$20 million sale of Sunniva Medical Inc., including the Sunniva Canada Campus, to CannaPharmaRx
- Rayonier Advanced Materials Inc. in the sale of its pulp mill in Matane, Quebec to Sappi Limited for US$175 million
- BioSteel Sports Nutrition Inc. in its sale of a majority stake to Canopy Growth Corporation
- Gestion MAC s.e.n.c. in the sale of a 55% stake in its operating businesses to Groupe BMR
- Novacap in its acquisition of the business of Spectrum Health Care
- Calibre Mining Corp. in its US$100 million acquisition of mining assets in Nicaragua from B2Gold Corp. and strategic partnership with B2Gold
- Xilinx, a US-based technology developer, in its acquisition of NGCodec
- Sinomine (Hong Kong) Rare Metals Resources Co. Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of China-based Sinomine Resource Group Co., Ltd., in Cabot Corporation's sale of its Specialty Fluids business for US$135M
- Connor, Clark & Lunn Infrastructure in its acquisition of a majority interest in Bremner Trio Hydro Corp. and the completion of their C$197 million debt financing for the construction of two run-of-river hydroelectric projects
- Mikes Restaurants Corporation in the C$43.2 million sale of its trademarks and certain other intellectual property rights to Diversified Royalty Corporation
- Summit Industrial Income REIT in the C$95 million acquisition of its external manager, Sigma Asset Management Limited to internalize its asset and property management functions
- Echelon Financial Holdings in its C$166 million sale of Echelon Insurance to CAA Club Group
- The special committee of Great Panther Silver Limited in its US$105 million acquisition of Beadell Resources Limited, an Australia-based gold producer
- Alliance Designer Products, Inc. in its acquisition by Wynnchurch Capital, LLC., American private equity firm
- Barcodes Group, a US-based provider of information technology solutions, in the acquisition of QSG through its subsidiary, OCR Canada Ltd.
- Resurgent Holdings LLC in its sale of Resurgent Holdings Canada Inc. to PRA Group, Inc.
- Audiokinetic Inc. in its acquisition by Sony Interactive Entertainment
- George Melville in the sale of his 50% interest in Boston Pizza International
- Carmanah Technologies Corporation in its acquisition of Vega Industries Limited
Leading Firm: International & Cross-Border Transactions - Canada
Corporate/M&A - Nationwide Canada
Corporate/M&A - Leading Firm
The Legal 500 - Canada
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Mergers & Acquisitions - Leading Firm
Mergers & Acquisitions
IFLR 1000: Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms
Mergers & Acquisitions
IFLR1000 Canada Awards
Canadian M&A Team of the Year
IFLR1000 Canada Awards
Ontario Impact Deal of the Year Canopy Growth's $3.7 billion acquisition agreement with Acreage Holding
IFLR1000 Canada Awards
Québec Impact Deal of the Year - Le Groupe Maurice's C$1 billion partnership with Ventas
Cross-Border M&A: Top 10 Considerations for U.S. Acquirers of Canadian Targets
Our market-leading M&A Group highlights the core issues, key considerations, pitfalls and opportunities for U.S. businesses and investors contemplating the acquisition of a Canadian target.
Canadian Going Private Transactions
Understand the steps necessary to take a public company private from some of Canada’s leading transactional lawyers.
An overview of some of the principal Canadian corporate and securities law considerations that apply to special committees, with an emphasis on special committees appointed in connection with M&A transactions.