Jonathan See is a partner in our Business Law Group in Toronto and Co-head of the firm’s national M&A Group and Private Equity Group. He is one of Canada’s most well-known M&A lawyers acting for sponsors, private equity and alternative investment funds, investment banks and lenders on a wide range of domestic and cross-border infrastructure, real estate and power transactions.
Jonathan is Chambers-ranked, and repeatedly recognized by Lexpert, Best Lawyers and IFLR, for his significant experience in private equity, infrastructure, project finance and real estate. He was also named a Rising Star by Lexpert, the annual award that honours Canada’s “Leading Lawyers Under 40”.
Jonathan received his LLB from Osgoode Hall Law School and was called to the Ontario bar in 2003.
Jonathan routinely advises high-profile clients across a broad variety of industries on complex and innovative M&A and private equity transactions, including some of the biggest in the market. Select recent experience includes:
- Brookfield Infrastructure Partners L.P., together with its institutional partners, in the $13B privatizationof Inter Pipeline Ltd.
- TD Asset Management Infrastructure Investments in its joint venture with Rice Commercial Group Limited and Airport City Winnipeg Ltd. to acquire properties in Winnipeg International Airport cargo area
- InstarAGF in its acquisition of PRT Growing Services from private equity firm TriWest Capital Partners
- Brookfield Infrastructureand GIC, the Singapore sovereign wealth fund, in the US$8.4 billion acquisition of Genesee & Wyoming Inc., US freight railroad owner and operator
- Brookfield Asset Managementin the C$4.3 billion acquisition of Enercare Inc. by Brookfield Infrastructure Partners
- A consortium of buyers including Mubadala Capital, PartJockey and SoftBank (through a significant investment in ParkJockey) in the acquisition of Impark from Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board
- TD Greystone Asset Management, in the acquisition of JLIF Holdings (Project Service) US, Inc. and its 100% subsidiary Project Services LLC, which operates the Connecticut Service Plazas, by Applegreen plc, IST3 Investment Foundation, acting on behalf of its investment group IST3 Infrastruktur Global, and TD Greystone Asset Management acting on behalf of and as manager of the Greystone Infrastructure Fund
- Ellis Don Capital in:
- its acquisition of a portfolio of infrastructure projects;
- its acquisition of certain Canadian assets of Carillion pursuant to insolvency proceedings; and
- the formation of a long-term partnership with Fiera Infrastructure
- InstarAGF Asset Management Inc., Partners Group AG and Kilmer Van Nostrand Co. Limited in the sale of their interest in Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport to institutional infrastructure investors advised by JP Morgan Asset Management
- InstarAGF Essential Infrastructure Fund, a fund sponsored by InstarAGF Asset Management Inc. in its:
- acquisition of AMPORTS Inc. from Lincolnshire Management Inc.
- acquisition of Skyservice Investments Inc.
Energy, Power & Mining:
- TD Asset Management Infrastructure Investments in the acquisition of approximately 51% of the outstanding shares of Rabbalshede Kraft AB, a leading operator in renewable energy in the Nordic region
- Magris Resources Canada Inc.in its definitive agreement to acquire substantially all the assets of Imerys Talc America Inc., Imerys Talc Vermont Inc. and Imerys Talc Canada Inc.
- A consortium including TD Greystone Asset Managementand IST3 Investment Foundation in the C$1.7 billion agreement to acquire up to a 100 per cent of Alberta PowerLine from Canadian Utilities Limited and Quanta Services Inc.
- InstarAGF Essential Infrastructure Fund, a fundsponsored by InstarAGF Asset Management Inc., in its C$175 million equity investment in Steel Reef Infrastructure Corp. and its acquisition of a portfolio of gas plants from Crescent Point Energy Corp.
- Greystone Managed Investments Inc. in the establishment of Greystone Infrastructure Fund’s energy infrastructure platform, and acquisition of a portfolio of nine power plants in Alberta from a private equity fund managed by Kensington Capital Advisors Inc.
- Renewable Energy Systems Canada Inc. in the sale of its interest in Wataynikaneyap Power LP to FortisOntario Inc.
- Enercare Inc. in establishing a novel securitization program backed by a portfolio of rental contracts
- Cortland Partners, LLC, an Atlanta-based multi-family real estate company, in its US$1.2 billion acquisition of Pure Multi-Family REIT LP
- Slate Canadian Real Estate Opportunity Fund I, a fund sponsored by Slate Asset Management, a leading private equity firm in the real asset space, in its C$1.14 billion acquisition of a portfolio of properties from Cominar REIT
- Fiera Capital Corporationin the launch of its new Fiera Properties CORE Mortgage Fund and the appointment of Fiera Properties Debt Strategies Ltd. as the lead of the mortgage strategy
- Slate Asset Management L.P.in their secured non-voting minority equity investment from Goldman Sachs' Petershill Group
Retail & Technology:
- Harbin Pharmaceutical Group Holding Co. Ltd., an affiliate of CITIC Capital (China), in its US$760 million bid to acquire GNC Holdings Inc.
- Acuity Brands, Inc., a US-based lighting and building management solutions company, in its acquisition of The Luminaires Group
- Permira funds, UK-based private equity firm, in the acquisition of the Service Provider Video Software Solutions group from Cisco, and the subsequent creation of Synamedia
- Hg Pooled Management Limited, a UK based private equity firm, in its investment in Intelerad Holdings Inc.
Leading Lawyer: Corporate/Commercial - Ontario
The Legal 500 - Canada
Leading Lawyer: Corporate and M&A
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Private Equity; Project Finance
Lexpert Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40
Rising Star Award
Lexpert Special Edition – Finance and M&A
Lexpert Special Edition: Infrastructure
Lexpert Special Edition: Energy
The Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading Lawyer: Project Finance Law
IFLR 1000 Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms
Highly Regarded: M&A, Private Equity, Energy, Social infrastructure, Transportation