In any significant dispute, you cannot leave success to chance
McCarthy Tétrault's Litigation Group gets to the heart of the real business issues, manages matters with objectivity and clarity and buffers your company against disruption. We do not waste time or reputation on pointless posturing. We seek satisfactory resolution or a successful outcome in court.
Major businesses count on McCarthy Tétrault when they confront complex disputes, whether in Canada or internationally. Through our offices across Canada, we provide all the resources needed to handle complex and multijurisdictional disputes in either official language.
- Strength, breadth and depth. Litigation is a strategic practice in our firm, not an adjunct service. We have been Canada's pre-eminent litigation firm for over 150 years. Our seasoned practitioners are supported by teams designed for your case and led with clear strategies in mind.
- Unparalleled experience. From our youngest to our most senior, our litigators are strong advocates with unparalleled experience litigating cases across Canada. Many of our litigators, and our firm as a whole, are consistently ranked among Canada's very best.
- Courtroom credibility. As counsel for many of the most significant cases in Canada, we have earned the respect of judges at all levels of Canada's justice system.
- A seasoned approach. We develop arguments, foresee issues and create innovative and effective strategies from the start. We consider the likely consequences, test alternatives and consult the best experts to support your case. We modify our approach as the matter evolves, in communication with you.
- Efficient resolution of disputes. We use all of the tools available to resolve disputes efficiently, including settlement out of court, innovative mediation, arbitration and other alternative dispute resolution strategies – and ultimately, where appropriate, court proceedings.
Our litigators offer the best chances of the best possible results in resolving significant disputes in diverse areas:
- Corporate commercial disputes – We represent leading companies in all types of commercial and corporate disputes. In the communications, energy, financial services, forestry, manufacturing, mining, oil & gas, pharmaceutical, real estate and technology industries, our litigators and industry specialists take care to ensure a sophisticated understanding of your goals and needs.
- Class actions – We generally act for the defence and have deep and broad class actions experience. We are the only Canadian firm positioned to effectively defend significant class actions in all major Canadian centres.
- Securities litigation – We act in regulatory and other disputes involving public market securities and in both public and private company security-holder disputes.
- Competition law – We represent companies facing competition law and antitrust problems before government agencies, tribunals and the courts.
- Intellectual property – We represent pharmaceutical companies and other enterprises in patent, trade-mark, copyright and other intellectual property cases.
- Insurance – We act for policy-holders in significant insurance dealings and coverage disputes.
- Professional Liability – We act for doctors, lawyers, journalists and other professionals in matters of professional responsibility.
- Regulatory, Public and Constitutional Law – We represent our clients before regulatory tribunals and we challenge administrative decisions and the validity of legislation and regulations affecting our clients.
- Tax Litigation – We assist businesses with their significant tax disputes with governments across Canada.
- Pensions and Employee Benefits – We represent employers, trustees and administrators of pension and benefit plans, as well as service providers, such as actuaries, consultants, custodians and investment advisors.