Your business relies on evolving technologies. We help you stay aware of opportunities and threats
We drive significant value for our clients because we have undertaken the widest range of leading-edge technology transactions across industry sectors: software, hardware, e-commerce, fintech, aeronautics, biotechnology, life sciences, IT services, data management and security. Similarly, we act for the broadest array of players in the space from large and small technology developers, manufacturers and vendors to the major corporations, financial institutions and private/public partnerships that use and distribute technology or purchase enterprise-wide licensing agreements and mission-critical systems.
We act for domestic and international clients. We know the players and we know what motivates them in a commercial negotiation or dispute, so we can develop proactive strategies that deliver on client objectives.Technology transactions aren’t only about circuits or code. They create relationships, the success of which hinge on achieving business objectives while successfully allocating and managing risk. The best lawyers equally understand the trends and imprints made by fast-moving technology development, the business impetus behind the growth or adoption of new technology, and the range of associated legal issues. Our Technology practice, Canada’s largest and deepest, operates at this intersection of legal, business and technology sector savvy and experience.
Why McCarthy Tétrault
- Industry insight - Clients benefit from Canada’s most ‘plugged in’ team of trusted advisers who lead emerging trends in technology law, evidenced by our work with sophisticated, high volume purchasers, cutting-edge vendors and even technology “disruptors” in multiple markets.
- Understanding the business drivers - To extract value in technology transactions or advocacy situations, a focus on practicality underpins our work. This gives us insight into the legal issues that matter most to reaching business goals and, as importantly, the ones that don’t.
- Leveraging market leadership - Our leadership in industry surveys illustrates market recognition of our proficiency in delivering innovative and results-oriented solutions, strategically anticipating and addressing deal points, and truly partnering with clients as an extension of their team.
- End-to-end capability – Clients access a one-stop shop of cross-functional lawyers that are industry experts first, not lawyers who ‘dabble’ in technology. Because of our unmatched depth (right across the country), we can provide scaled, cost-efficient, tailored services that complement business objectives.
- Strategic planning
- Due diligence
- Risk management
- Licensing & distribution
- Project development arrangements
- Systems Integration
- Cloud services (SaaS. PaaS, IaaS)
- Intellectual property strategy
- Software development
- E-Commerce arrangements
- Payment processing (including mobile payments)
- Cybersecurity, privacy & data protection
- Anti-spam compliance
- Consumer protection matters
- Marketing & advertising
- French language matters
- Dispute resolution
- Mergers & acquisitions
- Joint ventures
- Commercial matters
- Tax structuring
- Cross-border advisory
Top tier in Technology
The Legal 500
Canada’s only Tier 1 firm in Technology
Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Only firm Most Frequently Recommended in both Technology Transactions and Computer/ IT Law
- Public & private companies
- Technology end-users
- Service providers
- Private equity & venture capital firms