Christine syncs technology with the law, combining analytical reasoning with innovative solutions to resolve clients’ most complex tech problems
Christine is an equity partner and leader of the firm’s National Technology Law Group and co-leader of the FinTech Group. She is nationally recognized as an expert in commercial transactions involving information technology, data security, intellectual property and supports a wide-range of clients with unparalleled knowledge and industry expertise.
For over twenty years, she has helped clients in connection with complex technology transactions, including outsourcing, cloud computing, SaaS and other strategic procurement arrangements, software development and systems implementation (including agile methodologies), licensing, data sharing and joint ventures. She has particular expertise in the area of information security and third party vendor risk management. Christine has assisted clients across a broad spectrum of industry sectors, with a focus on banking and other regulated industries. In all of her mandates, Christine prioritizes educating clients, offering deep insight into the commercial realities of technology transformation.
As a leading voice on a range of emerging technologies, including big data, artificial intelligence and blockchain, Christine will play a key role in market leading FinTech initiatives and build upon McCarthy Tétrault‘s innovative fast-growth initiatives. She has recently been involved in a number of "open data" and alternative data projects, and has advised on a number of strategic collaborations between incumbents and disruptors."
- Structuring and negotiating two-way data sharing agreements between collaboration partners in relation to data of mutual customers
- Advising financial institutions in relation to procuring AI - powered SaaS solutions from foreign service providers and managing and mitigating the associated information security and privacy risks
- Counselling a number of financial institutions in relation to payments modernization in Canada
- Assisting banks in negotiating credit and debit card manufacturing and supply arrangements
- Assisting a multi-national bank in connection with its core commercial arrangements with its payment network providers
- Advising a number of financial institutions in relation to the administration of financial benchmarks in Canada
- Advising a life insurance provider in relation to multiple vendor agreements central to the modernization of its online application and adjudication processes
- Advising an auto insurance provider in relation to the launch of a mobile telematics app
- Assisting a U.K.-based mobile app provider in the healthcare space with its expansion into Canada and the negotiation of a long-term, exclusive reseller and collaboration agreement in Canada
- Advising a foreign provider of healthcare solutions in relation to the divestiture of its Canadian business and the structuring and negotiation of a long-term, exclusive reseller agreement in Canada
- Acting for a leading Canadian pharmaceutical company on the structuring and negotiation of a long-term collaboration agreement for the development and commercialization of a drug for the treatment of certain neurological conditions, including the securing of key patent and technology licences from a large US-based biotech company
- Advising a U.S.-based outsourcing service provider in relation to a multi-year, high value outsourcing agreement with provincial health authorities
Christine holds a Bachelor of Science in Engineering from the University of Toronto, 1990, and obtained her LLB from Osgoode Hall Law School, 1993. She was called to the Ontario bar in 1995.
RECENT THIRD PARTY PUBLICATIONS
- Co-author with Michael Scherman and Drew Wong, "Federal Government's Directive on Automated Decision-Making: Considerations and Recommendations", Internet and E-Commerce Law in Canada, June 2019
Band 1: Information Technology - Canada
Band 1: Information Technology
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Computer & IT Law and Technology Transactions
The Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada
Leading Lawyer: Computer & I.T. Law, Technology
Lexpert Special Edition - Technology
The Legal 500 - Canada
Leading Lawyer: Technology; Recommended: Corporate and M&A
Who's Who Legal: Data
Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading Lawyer in the areas of Information Technology, Intellectual Property, Technology, Privacy and Data Security Law
Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000
Leading Lawyer: Patent Transactions