Employees are the engine of Canadian businesses, but the employment relationship in unionized workplaces can be fraught with legal complexity and reputational risk. The Labour Group at McCarthy Tétrault has the expertise to provide the help you need, when you need it.
We represent clients in a broad spectrum of economic activity, including manufacturing, technology, energy and utilities, mining, construction, gaming and hospitality, transportation and warehousing, as well as public sector entities including government ministries and agencies, municipalities and universities.
We assemble the right team for your specific needs from our large roster of senior and junior lawyers. And with offices across the country, we combine local know-how with the resources of a leading national firm. Our labour lawyers have a reputation for strategic, timely and practical advice in all areas of labour relations and labour law, at both the provincial and federal levels, including:
- Employee Engagement – We create effective employee engagement strategies that strengthen the direct relationships between our clients and their workforces
- Collective agreement negotiations – We develop and advise on negotiation strategies, draft proposals and negotiate on behalf of our clients to achieve economically viable and timely settlements.
- Labour litigation – Our lawyers regularly appear before arbitrators and tribunals and, where necessary, provide advice on labour dispute preparation and act as counsel on applications for injunctive relief and judicial review.
- Organizational and transaction advice – We assist in crafting effective solutions to labour issues central to the success of corporate mergers, acquisitions, insolvencies and reorganizations.
- Legislative compliance – We provide expert advice on compliance with legislation that impacts our clients’ unionized workplaces. Through our HR Compliance Diagnostic, we work closely with your legal or HR team to conduct a comprehensive audit of your organization’s employment policies and practices, assess your vulnerability, and develop practical and tangible actions to achieve and maintain compliance.