In today’s global economy, both national and international companies need to be able to relocate employees wherever their skills are in demand. Whether you are a Canadian business wanting to obtain the skilled services of foreign nationals, or a US-based or other multinational seeking to place employees in your Canadian operations, McCarthy Tétrault’s expertise can help you navigate the requirements of Canadian immigration.
We offer a national capability unsurpassed in Canada. You benefit from the highly specialized knowledge of our team of immigration experts in our Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Montréal offices, some of whom have previously worked within Immigration Canada.
Step by step, we lead you through the process of acquiring necessary authorizations. Working collaboratively with immigration officials, we help to ensure the most efficient processing possible for workers arriving from outside Canada.
What’s more, we understand that immigration is not simply a legal matter: it has a highly personal component, too. We help the family members of transferred workers apply for employment or student authorizations, and assist where possible on relocation issues.
You can rely on us for strategic advice and practical assistance with all aspects of immigration law, including:
- temporary resident visas for persons who require such visas prior to entering Canada;
- work permit applications pursuant to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS) and other applicable treaties;
- obtaining necessary federal and provincial government approvals, including Service Canada labour market opinions;
- applications for permanent residence, citizenship and study permits;
- applications for a Certificat d'acceptation (certificate of acceptance) and/or official immigration applications (Québec Selection Certificate) for candidates who have chosen the province of Québec;
- assistance with issues of inadmissibility to enter Canada based on prior criminal convictions or medical conditions;
- advice on customs and sales tax issues, including personal property and pets; and
- sophisticated tax planning on related tax issues.
Companies and individuals in all business sectors turn to us for precise and immediate practical help with immigration. Our clients include major entertainment, sports and resort development companies and leading businesses in the fields of life sciences, technology & Licensing, pharmaceuticals, engineering, mining and financial services.