McCarthy Tétrault is widely known as Canada’s premier law firm for dispute resolution, consistently recognized by clients and competitors alike as relentless advocates for clients focused on resolution and results.
Our International Arbitration team is equally committed to marshaling its considerable expertise, strategic know-how, acumen and experience to advance our clients’ positions and obtain solid outcomes.
- institutional arbitrations before the LCIA, AAA, ICC, and other internationally recognized arbitration institutions;
- ad hoc arbitrations, including under the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules;
- international trade, investment treaty disputes, and contractual investor protection; and
- defending and enforcing arbitration agreements and awards at all levels of the Canadian court system.
The Canadian legal system is grounded in two of the world’s greatest legal traditions, the English common law and the French civil law. McCarthy Tétrault’s international arbitration team is versed in both, and can manage complex arbitrations and hearings in English and in French, as well as in other major international languages. In addition, further arbitration expertise is available from McCarthy Tétrault’s office in London, UK, which was established in 1987 and is located in one of the world’s premier international arbitration centres.
As the largest and most diversified litigation group of any national law firm in Canada, McCarthy Tétrault is in a position to handle complex international arbitrations in a wide variety of industries, including, but not limited to:
- Banking and Finance;
- Investment and Securities;
- Franchise law;
- Energy and Power;
- Oil & Gas, LNG and Clean Technology;
- Technology & Licensing;
- Intellectual Property;
- Construction and Engineering;
- Insurance and Reinsurance;
- Health Law and Pharmaceutical Law.
Our arbitration practice also includes advising clients and representing them in all forms of alternative dispute resolution, including principled negotiations, mediation, early neutral intervention, mini-trial or other forms of ADR in both Canada and London, UK. Our national litigation software support and team of paralegals is unparalleled in Canada and able to support any type of complex and document-intensive arbitration.