Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
Université de Montréal
Osgoode Hall Law School
University of Cambridge
Jean-Philippe Mathieu is an associate in our Litigation Group in Montréal. His practice includes civil and commercial litigation, class actions, insurance litigation and professional liability.
Jean-Philippe obtained his Bachelor of Civil Law (LL.B.) from Université de Montréal in 2011 and was awarded the law faculty medal for the best graduating student. In 2012, he obtained a common law degree (J.D.) from Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. In 2013, as a recipient of The Right Honourable Paul Martin Sr. Scholarship, he completed a Master of Laws in commercial law (LL.M.) (first class degree) at the University of Cambridge. He received the Foundation Scholarship from Queens’ College in recognition of his academic achievement at the University of Cambridge.
Jean-Philippe is a member of the Young Bar Association of Montréal and the Canadian Bar Association. He was called to the Québec Bar in 2014.
Jean-Philippe appears regularly before courts of first instance and courts of appeal. He successfully represented a client regarding an objection to an application for leave to appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada.
Jean-Philippe’s experience includes the following:
- Acted for corporate directors regarding claims for damages for negligence, misrepresentation and wrongdoing
- Acted for a telecommunications company in matters of consumer law related to the company’s billing
- Acted for a Crown corporation targeted by a $2.4-billion class action related to consumer law
- Acted for shareholders and companies in oppression litigations
- Acted for corporate directors in the context of the company’s declaration of bankruptcy
- Acted for an individual regarding litigation against his insurer, the insurance wholesaler and the insurance broker
- Acted for various corporations to oblige insurers to grant insurance coverage, including in the field of construction and in a context of environmental decontamination
- Acted for a port company in the context of a constitutional litigation involving the Procureur général du Québec and the Attorney General of Canada
- Acted for an aeronautical company in various litigations involving a key supplier
- Acted for real estate developers in construction defect litigations
- Acted for a telecommunications company in different commercial litigations involving the company’s competitors and distributors
- Acted for professionals in cases brought against them concerning civil liability
- Acted for companies and individuals in matters involving interim injunctions (including Anton Pillar and Mareva orders)
Transactions & Cases