Our leading insights into Australia’s major industry sectors and experience with multi-jurisdictional matters makes us the law firm of choice for clients. McCarthy Tétrault is a key strategic partner for Canadian and Australian clients working beyond their national borders. We have an outstanding track record of delivering innovative and strategic legal solutions for Canadian and international clients seeking opportunities within Australia. With offices in every major financial city in Canada and in New York and London, we are also ideally situated for Australian-based companies doing business in North America. We offer all the advantages of an international platform, including the ability to run matters on a near 24-hour basis so our clients get the timely advice they need.
McCarthy Tétrault’s global network and strong relationships with top Australian firms helps ensure that our commitment to delivering borderless client service is successfully met. Our team is adept at building strong relationships with key stakeholders, which allows us to bridge the geographic boundaries and ensure that our clients receive timely and relevant advice.
Clients benefit from our in-depth industry knowledge and understanding of the nuances specific to Australia. We recognize our countries’ shared history as well as our respective success in resource development, financial services and trade. Our lawyers stay current with the changing landscapes of the region to ensure our clients have access to the most relevant and updated information they need to make informed business decisions.
Broad Range of Expertise
McCarthy Tétrault is consistently recognized and ranked for our top-tier expertise in Australia’s key industry sectors, including metals and mining, oil and gas, financial services, energy, power and technology. Notable experience includes:
- Chapmans Limited, an ASX-listed diversified investment company, in its investment in Canadian data processing centre and cryptocurrency mining company, GPU.One
- Champion Iron Limited, an ASX and TSX-listed iron ore exploration and development company, and Québec Iron Ore Inc. in their financing arrangements towards the restart of the operations of the Bloom Lake iron ore mine
- Carmanah Technologies Corporation in its acquisition of Vega Industries Limited, based in New Zealand
- Apollo Tourism & Leisure Ltd., headquartered in Northgate, Australia, in its acquisition of CanaDream Corporation for approximately C$28 million
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce in its issuance of A$700 million series CBL18 Floating Rate Australian Covered Bonds
- Champion Iron Limited, an ASX and TSX-listed iron ore exploration and development, in its acquisition of the Bloom Lake Mine and related rail and mining assets from Cliffs Natural Resources Inc., through its wholly-owned subsidiaries Québec Iron Ore Inc. and Champion Iron Mines Limited
- Norman, Disney & Young Group, an Australia-based engineering consultancy firm, in its expansion into the Canadian market by way of acquisition of Sterling Cooper Consultants Inc.
- National Bank of Canada in preparing a fairness opinion for OceanaGold, an Australia-based mid-tier gold mining company, in its acquisition of Romarco Minerals
- PaperlinX Limited, an Australia-based international paper company, in the sale of its subsidiary, Spicers Canada, to Central National-Gottesman Inc.
- TransAlta Renewables Inc., in its C$1.76 billion investment in TransAlta's Australian power generation and gas pipeline portfolio financed in part by a C$200 million subscription receipt offering
- Quintana Minerals Corporation in its US$23 million metal stream transaction with KBL Mining Ltd., an Australia-based resource company, in respect of the Mineral Hill mine
- Northcliff Resources in securing US$39 million financing for Sisson Tungsten-Molybdenum project by Todd Minerals, a subsidiary of New Zealand-based Todd Corporation
- Tricor Pacific Capital in its sale of Interplast Packaging to an affiliate of Pactiv, based in Auckland, New Zealand
- Xstrata Copper in the sale of 51% of its interest in the Chile Hydro Project to Origin Energy, an Australia-based integrated energy company, and negotiation of joint venture terms
- The Special Committee of Goldminco Corporation, an Australia-based mining company, in its C$48 million acquisition by Straits Resources, an ASX-listed mining company
- Canadian Helicopters Limited in its NZ$154 million acquisition of Helicopters (N.Z.) Limited, a New Zealand-based helicopter operator, and its related C$125 million revolving credit facility
- Anglo American Plc, as Canadian counsel, in its US$1.08 billion sale of Moly-Cop and AltaSteel to OneSteel Limited, based in Australia
- Australian Banc Capital Securities Trust in its C$153.7 million initial public offering
- Agrium Inc. in its C$1.152 billion purchase of AWB Limited, a major grain marketing organization based in Australia
- Orocobre Limited, an ASX-listed mineral resource company, in issuing subscription receipts by private placement, qualifying the shares issuable upon conversion of the subscription receipts by prospectus, and listing on the Toronto Stock Exchange
- Brilliant Mining in its C$26.5 million of 25% interest in Lanfranchi Nickel Mine and tenements situated in Western Australia to a wholly-owned subsidiary of Panoramic Resources Limited, an ASX-listed base metal exploration and development company
Awards & Rankings
- Over 600 lawyers in offices in all major business centers across Canada, as well as New York and in London
- Acted for 44 of the largest 50 Canadian companiesand for 33 of the largest 50 foreign-controlled companies in Canada in the past five years.
Chambers Global 2019
Internationally Recognized as a Leading Canadian Firm
Financial Post 500
Acted for 40 of the largest 50 Canadian companies and for 33 of the largest 50 foreign-controlled companies in Canada in the past five years
Recently awarded Law Firm of the Year for Technology
3rd Annual Canadian FinTech and AI Awards
Recently awarded Law Firm of the Year
IJGlobal Americas Deal of the Year Awards
Recent winner of three IJGlobal Americas Deal of the Year Awards
Refinitiv league tables
Ranked #1 firm in the Global Principal Advisors Completed table for M&A deals by value
Refinitiv league tables
Ranked #1 Canadian firm in the Global Completed table for M&A deals by value
Bloomberg league tables
Ranked #1 Canadian firm for Global Private Equity Deals by value
Financial Post league tables
Ranked #1 firm for Underwriters on Equity and Debt offerings by deal count
Bloomberg league tables
Ranked #1 firm for Manager on Canada Equity Offerings by value