In this post-Sarbanes-Oxley world, changes in securities legislation, class action rules and civil liability have put the spotlight on corporate governance.
A requirement of your business plan is a team of skilled lawyers who are respected in their field and who understand the importance of good governance to your bottom line. McCarthy Tétrault has that team.
We are among Canada’s leading corporate governance lawyers because:
- We understand the challenges. We are skilled counsellors whose judgment you can count on – especially in grey areas of compliance – to help you meet the challenges of corporate governance and protect your company and its board of directors against liability.
- We have the strongest litigation practice in Canada. When our public companies’ group advises you, we consult our firm’s skilled litigators as required. Should you become involved in litigation, you can rely on their expertise to guide you through the court processes.
- We have the knowledge and the hands-on experience. We are recognized leaders in the field of corporate governance. Our lawyers are consistently recognized by national and international legal directories, and many of them serve as directors of public companies.
- We have the breadth. With offices across the country, we offer seamless service nationally as well as provincially and territorially.
- evaluate how your board is managing risk;
- advise your board on managing risk and its public disclosure;
- advise you on the independence of directors and trustees and ensure that they are in compliance;
- advise your boards and committees about processes and procedures; and
- counsel you on areas of potential liability.
Our seasoned and skilled lawyers help ensure that your company’s directors are fully compliant with their statutory and common law duty to manage the affairs of your organization and to help guard it against unacceptable risk.
Corporate/M&A - Leading Firm
Report on Business: Canada’s Best Law Firms 2022
Areas of Distinction – Corporate & Commercial