At your service
Our lawyers understand that success in the hospitality industry is based on your ability to provide a consistently high-level of service for your customers. Working with international hotels, restaurant owners, casinos and entertainment companies, sports facilities, and leisure and resort operators across Canada and in the US, our legal counsel understands the hospitality industry inside and out.
Setting the table for success
Our practical and strategic advice comes from a deep understanding of the legal considerations faced by the industry, advising on issues of health and safety, food regulations, confidentiality of customer data, environmental factors, franchise agreements, anti-trust issues, supply chain and a variety of other areas.
Through our work with all stakeholders - owners, operators, lenders, developers, investors and more - our team understands the perspectives of each player and shares legal insights that benefit your business. Our people pull up a chair and collaborate with you to provide integrated, comprehensive and efficient service with contextual, strategic and tactical advice on matters relating to:
- mergers and acquisitions
- labour and employment
- development and financing
- asset ownership structures
- dispute resolution and litigation
- management issues
We have played key roles in transformative sector engagements, including:
- advising the special committee to the Board of Directors of Whistler Blackcomb, the largest ski resort in North America, in merging with Vail Resorts;
- acting as Canadian counsel to Fairmont Raffles Hotels International (FRHI), Qatar Investment Authority and Kingdom Hotels in AccorHotels’ acquisition of FRHI’s three iconic hotel brands: Fairmont, Raffles and Swissôtel;
- establishing a joint venture between Canadian Tire Corporation Limited and Kilmer Developments Limited to build and operate gas stations and associated convenience stores in each of Ontario’s 400 series highway service centres; and
- advising Hong Kong-backed Bluesky Hotels and Resorts, Inc. in its $2.1 billion acquisition of InnVest Real Estate Investment Trust, one of Canada’s largest hotel portfolios
- acting as General Counsel to Paramount Fine Foods in its Canadian and international expansion of its multi-banner, casual-dining, quick-service, take-out, delivery, catering and halal restaurants and butcher shop concepts into foreign jurisdictions.
- acting for MLSE in the lease and construction contract for the Raptors’ world class training and development facility, which will also act as the team’s office.
We have a national presence with offices in major hospitality markets across Canada, as well as in New York and London, UK, facilitating seamless service in cross-border engagements.
Our seasoned, industry-focused team tracks hospitality trends to bring together local, national and international perspectives that keep you ahead of developments affecting your operations.