The food, beverage and agribusiness sector is rapidly changing. In the face of food price volatility, the increasing focus on environmental sustainability, growing global supply and production challenges, rapid technological innovation and more, McCarthy Tétrault can help you navigate market obstacles and maximize growth.
As global market conditions continue to evolve, food, beverage and agribusiness companies must also change to meet the demands and trends shaping the industry. We offer the legal guidance required for you to adapt and grow, providing strategic counsel for your business needs.
Our full-service firm has end-to-end industry coverage across the food, beverage, agribusiness, consumer products and retail sectors, meaning we see the whole picture. Our 360-degree perspective translates into a deep understanding of the complex business and legal issues unique to your industry.
Practical counsel informed by sector expertise
Trusted by clients to provide complete, tailored and practical legal solutions, you can count on us to help you advance your business objectives, both within Canada and beyond our borders. No matter the issue or mandate, we have the expertise and sector experience needed to help you navigate complexity, mitigate risk and reach your objectives:
- Industry lifecycle expertise: As an integral part of our Retail and Consumer Markets Group, we offer comprehensive legal support through every facet of the industry lifecycle — from production and processing, all the way to packaging and marketing. We not only help you remain in compliance with the matrix of regulations governing the industry, but offer unique insight from having worked with industry leaders across Canada on their most complex challenges and growth opportunities.
- Industry integration: Our lawyers maintain excellent relationships with policymakers, key industry players, and other institutions and are active in numerous industry associations, including Conseil de la transformation alimentaire du Québec; Food, Health and Consumer Products of Canada; Food and Beverage Canada; Canadian Produce Marketing Association; Retail Council of Canada; and Retail Industry Leaders Association. Leveraging our relationships, we can help you expand your network, connect the dots across sectors, and receive the most up-to-date, invaluable industry insights.
- More than two decades of industry experience: To help you capitalize on opportunities and mitigate risks, our group offers more than 20 years of global experience advising all participants in the chain, including multinational agricultural growers and producers; food and drink manufacturers, distributors and retailers; fertilizer and agrochemical producers; and lenders, investors, and suppliers to the industry.
Full-service support for all your business and legal needs
Focusing on your unique business requirements, we offer a multidisciplinary approach to advise on and solve many legal issues that arise in the food, beverage and agribusiness sector. In addition to traditional legal services, such as legal support on strategic mergers and acquisitions, private and public debt and equity financings, litigation and day-to-day business requirements including labour and employment, commercial contracts, intellectual property, environmental and tax matters, you will also benefit from our expertise in critical areas such asevolving technologies, including AgTech and FoodTech
- environmental issues, including climate change (greenhouse gases and carbon emission), water use and pollution, environmental contaminants, and more
- food safety and traceability issues
- health and safety of food manufacturing, processing, and distributing
- product compliance and liability issues, including product recalls and class actions
- trade and other regulatory matters (including support with rules governing supply-managed commodities, temporary marketing authorizations, food import procedures, food-related security, inspection and customs requirements, labeling requirements)
Pet Industry Team
With the rapidly growing demand for pet food and products, pet care and related services, our firm has established a specialized team to help our clients navigate the commercial and regulatory landscape of the pet industry. Our team works across practices and regions to provide strategic advice on mergers and acquisitions, insurance, financing and strategic investments, product liability and class actions, patents and trademarks, regulatory issues, marketing and advertising, trade and supply chain matters, and more. As active participants in industry associations such as the Pet Food Association of Canada, Food Health and Consumer Products Canada, and Retail Council of Canada, we recognize issues of importance and connect our clients with other industry players so they can collaborate in a legally compliant, proactive way.