Clients value Tristan’s ability to identify and implement practical, commercially-minded and efficient solutions to complicated issues to help keep their projects on track and under budget.
Tristan Musgrave is a partner in McCarthy Tétrault LLP’s Real Property, Planning and Projects Groups in Toronto and Co-Head of the firm’s Procurement Group. A trusted and highly personable advisor to both the public and the private sectors, he has a commercial real estate and business law practice and advises clients on all aspects of complex infrastructure and property development projects, including on procurement, construction, corporate governance, financing, occupational health and safety, dispute resolution, and property acquisition, disposition, leasing and licencing matters.
Tristan is a leading infrastructure practitioner in Canada and has in-depth experience, knowledge and understanding of nearly all project delivery models, when to use them and the issues they raise. In particular, he has extensive experience successfully planning, structuring, procuring, negotiating, closing and delivering high-profile public-private partnership (PPP/P3) transactions across a wide variety of sectors, such as transportation, healthcare, education, justice and government services.
Tristan’s experience includes representing and advising:
Infrastructure Ontario, Metrolinx, Waterfront Toronto, hospitals, colleges and other public sector entities on over 20 significant P3 transactions in Ontario both before and after financial close, including:
- the Scarborough Subway Extension Rail Project (the Line 2 East Extension Rail Project)
- the Yonge North Subway Extension P3 Project
- the Hurontario Light Rail Transit DBFOM Project
- the vivaNext Bus Rapid Transit DBF Project
- the Pan/Parapan Am Games Athletes' Village DBF Project
- the Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital and Milton District Hospital DBFM Projects
- the Macdonald Block Reconstruction DBFM Project
- the Halton Region Consolidated Courthouse and New Toronto Courthouse DBFM Projects
- the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health Phase 1B and 1C DBFM Projects
- the St. Michael's Hospital DBF Project
- the 17 facility Ontario Provincial Police Modernization DBFM Project
- the Sault Area Hospital DBFM Project
- the Seneca College King Campus Expansion DBF Project
- the Sheridan College DBF Project
Crown agencies, cultural institutions, healthcare and post-secondary education providers and other public sector entities on real property development, commercial and government funding transactions, including:
- Wilfrid Laurier University with respect to the development of new campuses in Brantford and Milton, Ontario
- The Corporation of Massey Hall and Roy Thomson Hall on the phased redevelopment of Massey Hall in Toronto
- Artscape, on a pro bono basis, on the development of the Wychwood Barns in Toronto, a project which received a Gold Lexpert Zenith Pro Bono Award
Private sector developers, financiers and property owners in respect of all aspects of their real estate transactions, including:
- Diamond Corp. and Build Toronto Inc. in respect of the development of properties in Toronto
- Cityzen Development Group on multi-phased condominium developments in Toronto
- Minto on the development of property in Toronto and Oakville, Ontario
- Fairmont Hotels and Resorts in respect of the disposition of properties, including the sale of the Fairmont Newfoundland Hotel in Newfoundland
Education & Affiliations
- Tristan received his BA (Hons.) in Economics from Queen’s University in 2001, his MA in Economics from Queen’s University in 2002 and his BCL/LLB from McGill University in 2005. He was called to the Ontario bar in 2007.
- Tristan is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Ontario Bar Association and the Canadian Bar Association. He has also completed the Osgoode Hall Certificate in Public Procurement Law and the Osgoode Hall Certificate in Public Procurement Governance.