With a storied record of success, Steven is a highly regarded litigator, recognized for his leading expertise in complex intellectual property matters
Head of the firm's National Intellectual Property Litigation Group, Steven acts as lead counsel on some of the largest, most high profile intellectual property cases in Canada. His focus is on developing creative, client-focused strategies and solutions that help clients protect their interests and achieve their objectives.
As a litigator first and foremost, Steven is an experienced trial and appellate lawyer who brings an unconventional way of thinking to contentious IP matters. He is trusted by clients to resolve complicated patent, copyright, regulatory, and trade secrets disputes and respected for his litigation skills by peers of the IP Bar. Chambers Canada: Canada’s Leading Lawyers for Business remarked that Steven “is widely regarded by the market as a ‘great courtroom litigator’" in their 2018 edition.
Supporting in-house counsel at multinational organizations across a range of industries, Steven has acted as lead counsel in many prominent cases, appearing before the Supreme Court of Canada, the Superior and Appellate Courts of British Columbia and Ontario and the Federal Court of Canada. Some of his notable experience includes:
- securing one of the largest patent damages award in Canadian history as lead counsel for Merck in Merck v Apotex.;
- successfully representing Bell Canada as lead counsel in a patent infringement action against MediaTube Inc. in which the Trial Judge dismissed the case against Bell and awarded Bell elevated costs.
- represented an international group of copyright organizations and professors in the high profile Aereo case before the Supreme Court of the United States;
- successfully represented Bell Media in a copyright infringement action against VMedia that raised the issue of whether streaming live television over the internet is permissible under the Copyright Act without the copyright owner’s consent,;
- currently acting as lead counsel for the National Football League in a case challenging the CRTC’s decision to ban substitution of Canadian commercials during the Super Bowl; and
- represents a number of innovative pharmaceutical companies in high stakes, mission critical patent litigation matters, regularly achieving positive, often precedent-setting, outcomes.
Steven is an adjunct Professor at Osgoode Hall Faculty of Law where he has taught intellectual property law for more than a decade. Frequently invited to speak about topics in the field of intellectual property litigation, he enjoys sharing his wealth of experience to mentor young lawyers. He also co-authored Intellectual Property Law in Canada: Cases and Commentary (Carswell, 2nd ed. 2013) as well as Copyright: Cases and Commentary on the Canadian and International Law (Carswell, 2nd ed. 2013).
He is admitted to practice before all courts in Ontario, the Federal Court of Canada, the United States District Court (N.D. Cal.), the Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals, the Court of International Trade and the United States Supreme Court.
Leading Lawyer: Intellectual Property Litigation - Canada
Leading Lawyer: Intellectual Property Litigation - Nationwide Canada
Lexpert / American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada
The Lexpert Special Edition – Canada's Leading Litigation Lawyers
Lexpert Guide to US/Canada Cross-Border Lawyers in Canada
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Most Frequently Recommended: Litigation - Intellectual Property
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Repeatedly Recommended: Intellectual Property
Canadian IP Litigator of the Year
Best Lawyers in Canada
A leading lawyer in Biotechnology Law and Intellectual Property Law
LMG Life Science Awards
Canadian Patent Litigation Attorney of the Year
Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000
Leading Lawyer: Patent Litigation
Managing Intellectual Property Magazine: IP Stars