Michael is a technology and privacy lawyer, providing practical legal advice and solutions for complex projects.
Michael Scherman is an associate in the Technology Law and Cyber/Data groups and has deep experience in providing practical legal solutions across a broad range of transactions and areas, including in relation to privacy and CASL compliance, technology outsourcing, cloud services, licensing, joint development arrangements, e-commerce, data sharing, distribution agreements and competitive/public technology procurements. Further, Michael brings specific knowledge and experience in addressing the unique concerns posed by emerging technologies and trends, including artificial intelligence and big data. Michael’s aim in every engagement is to provide a practical and efficient legal solution that appropriately addresses the risks inherent in the particular transaction and technology.
- Advising a global financial institution in relation to privacy compliance
- Supporting a major Canadian bank in the implementation of a cloud solution from a global service provider
- Assisting various companies in the commercialization of their emerging artificial intelligence technologies and services
- Assisting a large North American utility company in connection with its procurement of enterprise-wide information technology services, conducted through a public tender and procurement process
- Advising a foreign provider of healthcare solutions in relation to the divestiture of its Canadian business and the structuring and negotiation of a long-term, exclusive reseller agreement in Canada
- Advising a number of financial institutions in relation to the administration of financial benchmarks in Canada
- Advising a U.S.-based outsourcing service provider in relation to a multi-year, high value outsourcing agreement with provincial health authorities in a competitive public procurement process
- Assisting a leading investment services provider in the material outsourcing of fund accounting services of a Canadian bank
- Supporting a leading international operator of hospitals and provider of medical services in its implementation of enterprise-wide technology systems including a full enterprise resource planning system
Michael holds a Bachelor of Engineering Physics from the University of Saskatchewan, and law degrees (LL.B. and BCL) from McGill University. Prior to practising law, Michael was an engineer with a large multinational manufacturer of telecommunications equipment.
Michael is also a Certified Information Privacy Professional (Canada).
- Co-author with Adam Goldenberg, "Automation Not Domination: AI and Inclusion", June 2019
- Co-author with Adam Goldenberg, "Automation Not Domination: Legal and Regulatory Frameworks for AI", June 2019
- Co-author with Adam Goldenberg, "Automation Not Domination: AI and the Workforce", June 2019
- Co-author with Christine Ing and Drew Wong, "Federal Government's Directive on Automated Decision-Making: Considerations and Recommendations", Internet and E-Commerce Law in Canada, June 2019
Federal government proposes sweeping digital charter
Featured interview in Canadian Lawyer
Data compliance goes global
Featured in Canadian Lawyer
"It is a particularly challenging time in the world of data protection and privacy laws"