Mary Jeanne Phelan is a partner in the Business Law Group in Montréal.
Her practice focuses primarily on banking, financing, securitizations and derivative transactions, both national and international in scope. She advises clients on commercial lending, securitization, the taking of security, restructuring and implementing credit facilities.
Mary Jeanne’s recent retainers include:
- acting for numerous lending syndicates, as well as advising borrowers in several cross-border corporate and acquisition financings, particularly in manufacturing, security, aerospace, mining, media and technology;
- acting for lenders in various financing projects in the energy and health care sectors, including various long-term health-care facility construction projects,
- acting for issuers and underwriters in securitization and structured financing transactions;
- acting for lenders during equipment and inventory financings, by way of loan, conditional sale, lease or leasing agreements;
- acting for financial institutions and corporations for over-the-counter derivative instruments and agreements with domestic and international counterparties; and
- acting for debtors and lenders in connection with corporate restructurings under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act.
Mary Jeanne earned a BA (first class joint honours in History and English literature) from McGill University in 1994. She then completed her LL.B. at Université de Montréal in 1997. She also completed a master’s degree in international commercial law (MJur) at University of Oxford in 1998.
She is also a board member of several not-for-profit organizations, including La Fondation École Face and the Andover Canadian Fund, Inc. In 2020, she was named a Fellow of the American College of Commercial Finance Lawyers.
Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading lawyer: Asset Equipment Finance/Leasing; Asset Securitization; and Banking & Financial Institutions
Lexpert Special Edition: Agribusiness and Cannabis
Lexpert Special Edition: Technology
Lexpert Special Edition: Energy
Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading Lawyer: Banking and Finance Law, Equipment Finance Law, Structured Finance Law